Friday, July 18, 2008

On Bended Knee


Practically on his knees, the boss all but begged me to stay on at work. He worked every angle ... stroking my ego, attempting to boost my self-confidence, pointing out my leadership role with the other staff, and, yes, finally appealing to my bank account. It's not much but he did offer a little more dough, effective immediately,  if I stayed on through August. He was actually working towards 'forever' but I gave him through August.  I also gave him a list of my own concessions, i.e. no more nights and weekends after tomorrow (we have a midnight airport pickup), I'll leave work early when I have something personal planned, I'll take my Colorado vacation in two weeks,  I'll search for a new job during work hours if I so desire and time permits and  I'll go to interviews, if I have any during that time. At the end of August, I'm done. He still tried to persuade me to continue beyond August, "through the summer" (uh, summer officially ends Sept 21), but I held firm and am set on the August 29 end date.  

Why cave, you might ask? Well, this morning before heading off to the salt mines, my best pal and I booked a three week trip to Vietnam

I seem to have a knack for booking expensive vacations when I am or about to become unemployed. Considering the trip cost, the payment due date and my upcoming job status, I figured it'd be in my best interest to take the high road and  stick it out for one more month with my crazy boss and ease a bit of the depleting cash burden. And it buys me another month to keep searching for my 'what's next' step. 


No comments: