Monday, July 14, 2008

It's Okay to Look

Contrary to my adamant proclaim that I'm not into internet dating and "it doesn't work for me," I found myself peeking at some of the sites. Yes, #8 left me that final voice mail message only three days ago and in a sudden panic of being faced with yet another year ahead of me sans sex, I began to look at what my options might be. 

So log on, I did, just to take a look because as the Match.com ad suggests, "it's okay to look." I just wanted to see what was out there. Fifty pages of men came up between the ages of 38-48. Yes, it just now occurred to me that 38 is seven years younger than me. Geez, it didn't seem all that long ago that 38 was just a few years younger. Cripes, where does the time go anyway? 

Next I checked out plentyoffish.com and again, at least fifty pages of pretty fit fellas filled the screens. Cupid.com had over 20 pages. I didn't look too closely, but I didn't really see a lot of repeat guys. WHERE ARE these men? I don't get it. 

As I've mentioned before, I'm out and about this fair city doing a variety of activities from outdoor sports like biking, walking at the parks, dog walking, and festivals to cultural events like art walks, gallery openings, theater, and concerts. I talk to everyone about anything and yet, never meet any interesting (available) men. I just don't get it. Are these websites full of hooey? Do these men even exist in this city or is it all just a marketing ploy?

I was talking to a married with children friend yesterday who listened to my mile long list of social activities these past few weeks and she gave me an empathetic 'tisk tisk' and admitted you just don't meet anyone at these random one time only events. It has to be through a more long-term activity like work, school or a special interest club that meets weekly. I went to a gym every week for a whole month once. Nothing happened. Sigh.

Still wary about signing up for any of these dating sites, I decided to see what the competition held. So I checked out the "men seeking women" section (I had to log in with a faux user name and birthday) and low and behold, there are at least as many, probably more, pages of women seeking men. Gorgeous women. Fit women. Fashionable women. Women with good jobs, distinguished careers, money in the bank, mortgages in their names, cars to drive themselves to the date. Yeah, the competition is fierce. 

I think I'll just have to carry on in my own little delusional world of thinking I can meet a man 'the old fashioned' way. In person. Through friends. Throwing myself in front of his bicycle while I'm out power walking. And wowing him with my charming personality before he discovers all my shortcomings. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

what shortcomings??? don't be ridiculous!!

wanderwoman said...

Awww,... thanks Maura...you still know just what to say!

Anonymous said...

I thought if I clicked on the voice mail link, I'd actually get to hear the message! Bummer.

We need to chat. Stat.