Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Get Out There

Anyone who is single and attempting to date in this town has heard the phrase from a friend, family member or well-meaning co-worker: "You've just got to get out there."

I hear that and I think "you've got to be kidding me." Not many are more 'out there' than myself. I am out there. I couldn't really be much more out there. In the past few months I've been to the opera, Shakespeare, and the REACT theater. I attended the Killers, Kaiser Chiefs and Joss Stone concerts. I frequent the Seattle Art Museum, 100 Suite Gallery and the first Thursday art walk. I've been to Cabo, Key Stone and New York. Went to the Ballard Seafood Festival, the Evergreen State Fair, but, okay, I missed Bumbershoot. I've been to singles parties, on singles websites, and to speed dating events. I've taken writing classes, yoga classes, taught ESL as well as my Discover U class. I've been to the Olympic Sculpture Park, the dog park, the people park. I've drank lattes and walked dogs in more Seattle neighborhoods than I care to mention.

I've been to wedding, funerals and various BBQ's about town. I was an extra in a local film and I regularly partake in dinner or happy hours with my cute single girlfriends. We go to cafes, bars, clubs and dance the night away. I had a job with the city where I worked with 90% men and 90% of my customers were men. I golf every Sunday and attend local spectator sports (Mariners, Sounders, high school basketball games!). I let friends set me up with friends and I frequently talk to strangers at bus stops. Whew!

If I was any more 'out' I'd be gay! (Not that there's anything wrong with that!).

No comments: