Saturday, September 8, 2007

I Ching, U Ching

So I consulted the I Ching today. Yes, yes I DO consult the I Ching occasionally. I also have my cards read about once a year and do yoga and meditate. So what. It's what I do. It keeps me sane. Well, my friends may beg to differ on that point, but it keeps me feeling sane anyway.

So, as I was saying, I consulted the I Ching and it came up hexagram 9 - The Taming Power of the Small. "You are temporarily restrained. It is a time for taking small steps." Great. I am already jobless, rent a small apartment and don't have a car or even a bus pass right now. If I take any smaller steps I'll be stepping into a pup tent at the park near my house sharing my Top Ramen with the other homeless living there.

Let's see, what else does it say? "The obstacles to success can only be removed now by gentle measures. Inside yourself be focused and determined. On the outside, non action, adaptability, neutrality, and tolerance are the order of the day. Ambitious behavior is to be avoided..." Okay, now we're talking my kind of language. Don't jump into anything too hastily. Don't force anything that doesn't feel right. Chill ... but continue to mentally stay focused about the success I'm after. This is a correct interpretation, right? I can do this. Sure.

"To rush things is to invite misfortune." No problem there...I'm not a 'rusher into things' by any stretch. "Do not collapse into anxiety, doubt, or the strategies of the ego " (a little easier said than done...but I'll give it my best shot) . "Letting go brings inner freedom." If I let go of much more, I'm a little worried of what I'll be left with. A great pair of shoes and a whole lot of unrealized dreams? Well, I'll give it a try. Cause the I Ching has been around for thousands of years. And I've been around for a mere forty-four.

No comments: