Monday, September 24, 2007

Ladies Who Lunch

I was really looking forward to being unemployed for the month of September. I had worked full time for the previous five months for heaven sake and I needed a break (okay, we'll just forget that little old two week NY vacation I took in August). At any rate, I was going to bask in my life of leisure.

Well, for a lady of leisure I've been far busier than I'd imagined. Since my last day at SAM, I've been busier than a one-armed-paper hanger. Part of my problem is I have a tendency to over volunteer myself.

"Sure, I'm happy to do it," I hear myself saying. "I'm not working. What else do I have to do all day?" What else do I have to do? Pretty much everything else. Reorganize my desk drawers, clean closets, find affordable health care so I can see a doctor soon, frame pictures, hang framed pictures, read Dr. Seuss sized stack of books and magazines, watch videos borrowed from friend a month or more ago, look for job. I have plenty to keep me busy.

So far over the past few weeks I've volunteered to help Seattle Learning Academy with a marketing table at a function one Saturday day afternoon and evening. I also volunteered to post fliers around three neighborhoods on foot. This took two entire afternoons. I agreed to walk two dogs daily on Capitol Hill for half my quoted price (I'm not working, I needed the dough. I gave them the introductory price.) After my bus commute over there and back, I'm making about $3. Hmmm, I'm a shrewd businesswoman, I am.

I've spent three afternoons canvassing the Greenwood neighborhood with fliers from a new doggy daycare, Spawz Doggie Daycare and Swim Center. If I was getting paid by the calories burned rather than by the hour, I'd be pulling in some serious cash. Many of those houses are up steep flights of massive stairs. It's always nice to get all the way to the top before seeing the "no soliciting" sign. Luckily I do like a good workout!

I pet sat overnight eight days at two different households which involves taking care of the pets and the households. I helped a friend pick up a car she just bought from my ex-husband and ferried her to her doctor appointment. And I manage to get to yoga a few times a week.

So where is all the coffee shop down time I was imagining? The lounging around the park writing the next best selling Oprah novel about a 40 year old woman who leaves life as she knows it to tramp around Europe, Asia or just the opposite side of the States trying to 'find herself' (Eat, Pray, Love, Desert Sojourn, Without Reservations, A Year By The Sea) ?

Okay so maybe there are enough of those books anyway. But as for my sweet unemployed life...maybe I'll have more downtime this week. This last week of lovely September.

No comments: