Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lacking Greenbacks in the Emerald City

As the economy (and my bank account) struggles, we are all too aware of the cost of living, as well as the cost of playing. Luckily, we live in a city that has a lot to offer in the way of cheap, and even free, entertainment. 

The most expensive thing I did this weekend was to go see Sex and the City at the Big Picture theater in Belltown. And, yes, I could have saved a buck and seen it at one of the other major theaters in town. Actually, if I'd waited just a bit longer, I could have seen it on video! But being a die hard fan of SC, I just had to see it at the theater. And there's no better place than the Big Picture for that kind of over-the-top film. Seemed appropriate.

After the film, we grabbed a bite of Thai food sharing an appetizer and an entree. Cost = less than the movie. We then sauntered over to our favorite Suite 100 Gallery for a peek at the opening exhibit (free) and visit with our friends there. Next stop- Canlis, where my pal's new man works. Being the best boyfriend in the world, he set us up with a glass of lovely champagne as soon as we settled ourselves in the bar. Before we knew it, a buffet of fabulous desserts were promptly delivered at our table. "I wasn't planning on splurging tonight," I announced as I reached for my fork. Yeowza, these treats were delectable. When I looked up from my sweet-fest, two pink Cosmo's  landed on our table. It was true bliss. One my tummy can't afford to repeat anytime soon, but such a wonderful, and unexpected, treat. That was my first meeting of my friend's new love. My vote?  He's a keeper.

Saturday, another friend invited me to join her for the Historical Society's Home Tour on Capitol Hill. She insisted on treating me for my upcoming birthday, later in the month. It was a day of touring some of the historical and interesting homes on Federal Avenue E. Later, I met another girlfriend at Volunteer Park for the (free) Shakespeare in the Park production of 'Hamlet.'

Today, consisted of a stroll through Fremont Market.  Although there were plenty of interesting displays, I didn't make any purchases. It was entertaining enough to just look, be outside and enjoy the event with my friends.

Okay, so a few of these activities were gracious gifts from others. I certainly don't expect that kind of generosity on a regular basis. But in the spirit of keeping things simple and further exploring cheap summer days, there are free outdoor concerts at various parks, the Olympic Sculpture Park, plenty of parks to stroll through, bike paths to ride, places to picnic, the first Thursday art walk downtown, the Second Saturday Ballard Art Walk, Sunday farmers' markets in nearly every neighborhood, gallery openings, Ballard's Seafood Festival with free concerts and wine tasting events at local wine shops. With gas prices climbing to record breaking heights, finding affordable options within walking, busing or biking distance is more appealing than ever. And I, for one, am up for the challenge. 

If there's one thing I don't need to worry about, it's how I'll enjoy my summer on my extremely tight budget. 



 








4 comments:

Rachel said...

I, too, am feeling the pinch of living in $eattle. This is an expensive city!! I appreciate your suggestions for some cheap fun, as Peter and I have been wracking our brains for things to do that don't include spending money or being stuck in our apartments.

In response to your other post... wow, no more #8? Crazy. Pretty lame of him to do that in a message, though.

wanderwoman said...

Thanks! Let's be sure to share ideas as you come across some great (cheap) entertainment options!

Unknown said...

At least it wasn't a post-it note (for SC fans). No, really it is pretty spineless to leave you a voice message ending a 9 month "relationship". Let's just be each others "wing woman".

strange fancies said...

And whenever you do these free things, other interesting stuff turns up that you weren't expecting. I went down to the West Seattle Junction recently just to hang out, and I found myself doing all sorts of things I hadn't planned on, like wandering through an antiques mall and stumbling on an enticing bakery I hadn't known was there.