Thursday, July 24, 2008

From Sea to Si

Back in the day (yes, the day of my married self) my husband and I spent a lot of time on the mountains; skiing in the winter, hiking and backpacking in the summer. We've explored the trails of Snoqualmie Pass and Mt Baker quite thoroughly. I was in shape. I loved the hikes, the great outdoors, the thrill of reaching the "summit."  

Since my divorce I've had little opportunity to hit the trails. While in Europe I kept in shape via trekking through cobble stoned alley ways while getting lost in new cities, swimming in the Agean Sea, and dancing on bars in Greek nightclubs. Now home in our fabulous Pacific Northwest greenery, I'm carless and, therefore, find the opportunities to hike still quite rare. 

Last weekend I was invited by my very fit friend to head to Mt. Si. I was only slightly apprehensive as I considered my recent fitness level. Sure I walk up to the top of Queen Anne quite regularly -my favorite supermarket, Trader Joe's, is up there, as is my favorite view point, Kerry Park. I haul myself and groceries, laundry etc. up four flights of stairs daily. I walk several miles daily and practice yoga. But even so, I wasn't sure I was quite ready for Mt. Si. I mean, this stressful desk job has taken its tole on me this summer.  "It's an easy hike," my friend says, "It's the one people take their little children on. It's considered entry level, a training hike."  

A four mile 3100ft elevation gain is 'entry level?'  Okay then. I don't want to sound wussy.

We set off at a pretty hardy pace and it's not long before I can barely see the wisps of my friend's pony tail as she books around the switch backs at mach speed. Her spin class, power walk, weight trained physique is showing me up! I don't even attempt to keep up by the 2.25 mile marker. I just settle into my slogging pace, stopping to sip water regularly. 

Not only do I see a pretty nice selection of rather attractive men (most with rather attractive women, I might add), I spot several tiny children cooking their way up the mountainside as well! Pushing my ego aside, I stick to the task at hand and keep focus. 

When I reach the top, the views are incredible and I find my friend relaxing with her already half eaten sandwich. I peeled off my hiking boot to give my foot a break (shooting pain from an old scooter accident in 2003) and take a long leisurely lunch break before gearing up to head back down. Down was much more enjoyable to be honest. But I'm more than motivated to head out again. As long as my partner doesn't expect to actually hike with me. 

During the hike I thought often of the days of backpacking with my husband and our friends. Right, carrying heavy packs of gear and sleeping outside in the elements. I think I could be a little over those days. I rather enjoyed coming home and crashing in my very comfortable bed after a day on the hill Sunday. The steamy hot shower wasn't bad either. 





 

No comments: