Friday, December 7, 2007

More Christmas Gift Dilema

Aw Crap. It's December 7th. We're in the middle of Hanukkah and ye old Christmas is right down the road. I've pretty much been in denial. Yes, I see the Christmas tree upon the Space Needle outside my windows. I am semi-aware of the phrase "happy holidays" being tossed about by supermarket cashiers and the Fed Ex delivery people at the office. But somehow it's not registering that I actually need to participate in this event. Not only have I not made one Christmas purchase (my previous post aside, I do need to cough up a decent gift for my nieces), nor come up with my homemade gift idea, I haven't even thought about any of this.

In my previous fully-employed-by-well-paying-job, married-without-children life, I would have had the entire house decorated to the hilt including the 'perfect' Christmas tree, a shopping list made, most gifts purchased and the homemades well underway. My 50+ Christmas cards would have been mailed, and at least that many types of cookies would have been baked by now. Our guestroom turned 'gift wrap room' would model a scene from the North Pole.

But no, this new me doesn't seem to operate that way. We are well into the holiday season and my only decorations are a dish towel and a potholder with Saint Nick on them, which I pretty much use all year round due to lack of dish towels and potholders. So does that really count as 'putting out my holiday decorations?' I think not. And what brought all this holiday hoopla to my attention (because, apparently there just aren't enough ads on TV for me to notice) so sharply was the alarming fact that I might have a boyfriend. A boyfriend, who just might expect a little something from his girlfriend. I haven't had a holiday boyfriend in years (Andreas 2003). Uh oh. This is a tricky situation. We have only been dating a little over a month. Once a week type dating. I have absolutely NO IDEA what to present this man with at Christmastime.

We haven't even discussed spending time together at Christmas. He has a daughter and his family is all local. He'll, of course, spend the hols with his people. I, on the other hand, am wide open. But that's a minor detail really...I'm just anxious now about this whole Christmas giving thing. I don't think he'll appreciate my 'gift of charity'. I can't afford to go crazy, of course. He's a skier, but any of that paraphernalia is out my reach. He could stand a new wardrobe, but that is a bit personal at this stage. He doesn't read books (my signature gift), nor does he seem overly into music. I've never met his daughter, so I can't ask her. This is just one more indication of how impossible it is for this man to be labeled my boyfriend! I don't even know him! What do you give a boyfriend you barely know? (I'm actually open to suggestions here.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell him you want to meet his daugher. Let's face it, getting to know a female in his life is the fastest way of getting to know him.

wanderwoman said...

Hmmm...yes, very true, Anonymous. I may need to broach this topic soon. Thanks!

wanderwoman said...

Thanks to the rest of you who emailed me with your gift suggestions! Some very creative and appropriate ideas. I'll keep you posted.

maria said...

Meet his mother that´ll save you alot of time. Great work! love this...

wanderwoman said...

Thanks for your support,Maria! Would be interesting to meet his mother and daughter! From what he's told me, I think his mom and I are a lot alike. Probably why he hasn't introduced us! heh heh.