Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Firsts

After visiting a friend recently and witnessing her tastefully decorated table top tree, I became inspired. I decided I should attempt to adopt a little more of the holiday spirit and have a tiny little tree in my tiny little apartment. I have several boxes of Christmas decorations and ornaments. Why not use them? Actually, there are plenty of reasons including, but not limited to, the time it takes to drag all that stuff out, the finding a place to stash all your regular decorations while the Christmas decorations take over the house, keeping a tree watered regularly so it doesn't cause a fire and burn the entire apartment building down, and then packing it all away in three weeks. But all that aside, on my way home from yoga the other day, I stopped into the grocery store and picked up (quite literally) a tiny little cut tree. It took me all of two hours to bring it home, find a container to stuff it into, rifle through my closet and find the boxes of Christmas gear, trim the tree, clean up and sit back to enjoy. It's quite cute. I'm pleased with my little addition. And more importantly, after living with my folks, then off to college and then moving in with my husband, it is my very first Christmas tree as a single person.



Another "first": The other day, #8 called and left a message requesting, if possible, that I keep the coming weekend free so he can take me away somewhere. Away somewhere? A weekend rendezvous. A romantic get away. I have to admit, I was a little impressed. Impressed that he is even thinking of this sort of thing. Impressed that he called in advance and asked politely. I'm still not quite sure what to make of him, but I thought this sounded nice. I haven't been 'away' with a man since my divorce over five years ago.



'Firsts' can be nice, whether they are first Christmas trees, first weekend trips with a new 'lover' (that sounds better than boyfriend to me, but somehow it still doesn't really suit #8) or some other first that makes us feel a little warm and fuzzy inside.

Hmmm...is sexy lingerie in order for this weekend's excursion? It has just occurred to me that I have none. Nada. Zip. Zilch. How is that even possible? That a single 44 year old woman has NO sexy lingerie? Sure, lacy bras and panties...but nothing 'special' in the way of evening wear. It's been so long since I've actually slept with a man, I have whittled my lingerie drawer down to functional cotton boxer shorts and matching tanks. Time to dart out of work early and see what kind of last minute item I can muster up before the weekend commences!

No comments: