Thursday, December 27, 2007

Post Holiday Conundrum

With the help of everyone and, especially, Dianne's niece, Daelyn, I came up with the perfect gift for my current sweetie. She suggested a cooking class we could take together. Since he loves to cook, eat interesting foods and enjoys all those gourmet foodstuffs, I thought this was an ideal gift. As Daelyn pointed out, it's something he'd enjoy and we could do together! Viola! I loved it.

Saturday night Dianne and I hunted on line for cooking classes within my modest budget and found Cooks World near University Village (near his neighborhood...a good sign). They posted special holiday hours and I was able to high-tail it down there on Sunday the 23rd to pick up two gift certificates; one for him and one for me. Since I can't really choose what day we'd both be available, this gift allows us to look at the list of classes and work out which one we want to take.

"Why don't you just get one certificate for double the amount?" the woman at the shop asked.

"This way, it will be clear that it's a gift for two. I will present it as a gift for us to enjoy together," I explain, even though while doing so I realized it sounded a bit manipulative.

Included with my certificates, I presented #8 with some homemade spiced nuts (thank you, Marcie!) and some homemade cappuccino mix, balsamic olive oil for dipping and chipotle stuffed olives....and chocolates. I thought it worked out quite well considering where we are in our 'relationship' (early stages) and his enjoyment of food, cooking and event-based gifts over a bunch of material items to fill his house.

Well, I think my attempt at a togetherness gift may have backfired. I presented the gift and he was very excited about all of it. I, however, made a complete error in judgment and said, "if for some reason, the class you really want to take is the night you have your daughter, I suppose you could take her instead." He thought that was an exceptional idea! WTF? I was just making a polite gesture! I wasn't actually suggesting he take his daughter to MY cooking class. What is this man thinking? He isn't, that's for sure. I didn't spend this kind of money for him to take his 14 year old daughter who I haven't even met!

He keeps telling me how he is looking forward to doing things with me because he's been spending all his vacations, New Years Eves, holidays, ski trips etc... with his daughter for the last several years. I present him with what I think is clearly a couples gift and he is actually considering taking his daughter? I'm just floored. Do I say anything? NO...of course I don't. I just sit there stammering over my words in disbelief. I will just have to let this ride a bit and see how it pans out. I'm hoping he'll mention this whole scenario to his sisters and/or co-workers and they will slap him upside the head and set him straight. Yes, I realize I need to be slapped upside the head for opening my mouth in the first place. Me and my polite gestures. They always get me into trouble.

No comments: