Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Urban Girl and Suburban Boys

My friend "S" keeps lamenting about getting online pursuits from men who live in the least desirably geographically located towns (or just undesirable in general. It's all subjective.), i.e. Sequim, Duvall, Sedro Woolley. She is no more a country bumpkin than Eva Gabor from Green Acres. Seems I, too, am the attraction for "out of towners". However, mine are more suburban in nature.

One such suitor began “IMing” (another improper verb, by the way) while I was online. I checked out his profile which stated he lived in Seattle. He wanted to meet me, but upon further investigation I learned he actually lives in Woodinville. Woodinville is NOT Seattle. If your address isn’t Seattle, you don’t post that you live in Seattle. If you’re traveling abroad, you could say you live ‘near Seattle.’ You could also say you live 45 minutes outside of Seattle or you live in the ‘greater Seattle area.’ By no means are you a "Seattelite."

At first he says Seattle isn’t all that far, yet quickly the conversation takes a turn and he begins to fret about parking downtown. Okay, HE pursued ME. My profile states that I actually live in Seattle and I don’t own a car. Read: YOU are driving to ME. We never met.

Such alarming suburban comments regarding parking, traffic and favorite restaurants that include Applebee’s and Macaroni Grill are clear signs that these men are not for me.

The next guy who wanted to meet me was from Everett. He did make the trek to my Queen Anne neighborhood for Thai food without complaint (a plus), but there was absolutely no love connection so I sent him back to the North Pole.

A couple of weeks ago, a fella drove in from Bothell. He called to tell me he was running late as he was sitting in I-5 Friday afternoon traffic and once he gets to our meeting area it might take him some time to find parking for his very large truck. Oiy Vey.

On my recent trip to San Diego, I met an interesting character who seemed quite engaged during our flight. Okay, so he was occupying the window seat and pretty much pinned in forced to listen to my tales and anecdotes. Turns out he was headed back to San Diego to pack his bags and move to Seattle and start a new job. This was sounding promising. After six hours of lively conversation and banter (my version of how this went), I offered to give him my contact info so I could show him around his new city once he arrived.

While he was entering my number into his Blackberry, I asked what neighborhood he would be living in. I was holding my breath listening for neighborhoods like Belltown, Queen Anne or Capitol Hill. Actually, any Seattle neighborhood would have been suitable. His answer: Federal Way.


I think I turned blue waiting for a more appealing answer. Needless to say, he hasn’t called.










5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I experienced the same situation when I was a member of "It's Just Lunch". The coordinators were constantly telling me that I needed to expand my geographic limits when it came to dating. To my statement that "I had no desire to be matched with someone that I would have to commute to date", they responded with, "If it's the right person, it's worth it."

Of course, they were wrong and the guys from Tacoma, Auburn, Mill Creek and Issaquah were not the "right person". And as you have experienced, folks from outside of Seattle proper, (both male and female), do seem concerned about parking and are not familiar with some of the the amazing local resturants and entertainment venues Seattle has to offer. And, there is always the drinking and driving issue as well. I love going out somewhere that I know will only be an inexpensive cab ride home, if necessary.

I guess it's just a difference in lifestyle and while neither one is better than the other, it's more often than not, an incompatible match.

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree. To limit yourself to those who can park in the city comfortably, seems shortsighted.

wanderwoman said...

Thank you, both, for your comments! I actually don't limit myself. I do date them. However, someone is going to have to really dig me to want to keep driving into the city to see me.

But there is also that lifestyle factor that First Anonymous comments on. That is important to some and not to others.

And granted, if it's the right person, all kinds of things become possible. Absolutely.

Anonymous said...

I'm still laughing :) this was hilarious

Lucky Mom said...

I'm mixed on this. I don't know if you can limit yourself to the urbanites, especially at our age.

I think (from my experience living in Seattle, pre-marriage and kids) that those who live in the trendy, cool spots, want to remain independent. Not partner up necessarily. I didn't see too many city folks in relationships, or at least long-term etc.