Thursday, September 11, 2008

Back in the Dating Saddle

Today was a first. I had a first date with a man who lives in Lacey (near Olympia if you're wondering "where the #@*# is Lacey?"). We met on Plenty of Fish.com. Our date started at 6.45 a.m. Another first for me. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not a morning person. Unless I'm getting up to catch a flight somewhere, I'm generally not out of the sack at 6.45 a.m., no less dressed, made up and date-ready at that hour.

My POF date wanted to be sure he wouldn't hit any traffic so he left his house at 5.30 expecting to arrive at mine around 7.30. Luckily he called a little after 6.00 to let me know traffic was smooth and he expected to be at my place around 6.45. Crap. I shook the cobwebs out of my brain and hustled onto my feet to get ready. And what exactly does one do on a date at 6.45 a.m. if it wasn't a continuation of a date from the night before? On those occasions, I'm pretty sure of the protocol.

Our plan was to go to breakfast, so after a climb up to Kelly Park to view the sunrise (somehow this whole date seems backwards already, doesn't it?), we walked to the 5 Spot Cafe on Queen Anne where the breakfast is phenomenal. But they aren't open yet! They don't open until 8.30...the time I'm normally getting out of bed. We wander down the street and decide on El Diablo Coffee Shop. However, it's more coffee-shop than restaurant so breakfast items were limited. After lingering as long as humanly possible over our lattes and toast waiting for things to open, we take a stroll and end up getting pedicures. His suggestion which I commend him for being both bold enough to suggest it and brave enough to go through with it. In hindsight, I realize a couples pedicure is a bit too intimate for a first date activity.

After our pedi's we walked to Pike Place Market (POF hadn't ever been to Seattle and he's lived in the area since 1995.). We did the tour, saw the fish toss, took photos, had a Starbucks, all the while discussing all the things you discuss on a first date.

If I had realized he was from Lacey initially, I wouldn't have replied to his first contact. That's just geographically unrealistic for this transportationally challenged woman. He's also looking for someone who is ready to settle down in his Lacey home which includes a TV in every room, a DVD collection of 1300 movies, and three vehicles (a truck, a muscle car and a van). He doesn't like the city or the country. He likes what he calls "the in between" because they have it "all", a Home Depot, Lowe's and Block Buster Video where you can park real easily. Yeah, that's what I dub the "suburbs." Clearly, this wandering urban woman is not a match for this Lacey nester.

His parking meter ran out at noon and I chose to end the date at that point. I began to ask him if he needed a bite or a drink before heading south to beat traffic, but quite frankly, after 5+ hours of morning date, what I needed was a nap.

This internet dating is just too much work for me. Work I really don't want to do. I've got a 25 year old whose user name is "24talkin2u"... and another 28 year old user name "bahamapapa" who wants to 'chat.' There's only one possible topic we could be chatting about and I'm not into it. Then a 60 year old vies for my attention with pictures that range from 1977-2002. Yes, his most recent photo is six years old. And here I was feeling a little guilty about my own photo which is a year old.

To top it off, my worst fear has been realized. A male friend came across my profile and called me up to pitch me some crap about it. Ugh. Somehow there is just a weird, creepy feeling about having your pals see you in action, selling your stupid self on the internet. He even admitted that he felt oddly freaked out about reading my personal profile. He quickly clicked out of it and then called me up! Since he didn't respond to it on line, I have no idea what his user name is, or I might have taken a peak and checked out his profile. I mean tit for tat. He saw me naked, so now I get to see him!

No comments: