Friday, September 5, 2008

Day Four

Day four of unemployment. Not a lot has happened since day one. More of the same actually. I did send out a couple of resumes and made some contacts. I've met different friends and acquaintances for lunch, coffee and dinner. It's all about networking, right? Baked banana bread (seems to be what unemployed people do-bake). Been exercising, walking and going to yoga where I met another new classmate. Yes, a woman. I only seem to meet women in this town.

In a fit of poor judgment and frustration of having no male friends or dates in sight, I signed on to "Plentyoffish.com". It's free. And it's a little overwhelming. For anyone who has gone through the internet dating saga, you know what I mean. Have you ever gotten one of those matches where you click on the pictures and actually make an involuntary shutter and a noise like you've just seen a squished worm? Yeah. It's been depressing. And then there's that list of men who have reviewed your profile, but have passed you by. They are usually the handsome, successful ones. Why do they even bother to show you that list? I don't get it. What am I about to do, click on one of them and say "hey, you made a mistake passing me by! Give me a chance. I'm cuter than my picture." Sure, like who hasn't said that?

I just don't have what it takes for internet dating.

To make matters worse, the woman I had lunch with yesterday gave me tickets to the Storm game for Saturday night. She informed me that the games are really fun, but warned the bleachers are generally packed with lesbians. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just that it's another event full of women, for women, where I'll meet more women.

I think it's time to make a date with the driving range! And maybe they're hiring.

No comments: