Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Easing into Something

Today was my first day of unemployment-yet, again. It's a situation that is none too foreign to me fortunately. Or unfortunately. However one chooses to look at the situation. It's a position I've chosen, so I can't moan and groan about it. I've actually chosen my sanity over working for a - shall I say "challenging" boss. He still owes me my final paycheck, so I've coveted his Vespa until he coughs up the dough. Seems fair enough given his M.O.

So I had a leisurely morning of drinking coffee in my bathrobe while researching jobs, schools, answering emails that have piled up over the long weekend, and booking a trip to San Diego. Yes, I get so easily distracted when I get on this computer. One thing leads to another, which leads to a few phone calls with friends afar, which ultimately leads to ... a trip.

I won't say what time I finally climbed out of my bathrobe and donned some actual clothing, but the sun had come out beckoning me to join it. I wasn't getting very far on the job/school search either. After a few hours of that, it begins to seem very futile and monotonous. It's only day one for crying out loud. Save a little job searching for tomorrow. Besides, I don't even know what I'm looking for at this point. I need to time to think, reflect, breathe and detox from the old job!

So I ran a couple of errands. First stop hair color. I had splurged and had my hair "professionally" colored at Rudy's for my birthday (yeah, I went all out), but now that I'm unemployed, it's back to the 'box'. After a few more stops, I went to Green Lake for a nice walk. It was such beautiful fall-like day. I got half way around when I overheard a girl telling someone on the phone that she was near "World Wraps." World Wraps? Yum. I haven't had a wrap for ages. I'm hungry. I promptly veer off the walking path and head straight for a (small size) "Spicy Caribbean Sole" wrap. Again, I can't seem to stay on task.

I happily nosh on my wrap and then get back to business, feeling more content, although a little guilty. I shouldn't be spending money on World Wraps and I definitely shouldn't be interrupting my exercise to EAT!

Okay, it's just my first day. Although I'm no novice at being unemployed, I do need to give myself a little time to adjust to my new routine. A routine of having no set routine that is. At least for a few days.

No comments: