Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Working Hard or Hardly Working?

How about working hard at hardly working? I'm working, but hardly. I've been doing some pet sitting, catering, contract work. Just dabbling in a bit of this and a bit of that - barely. But this unemployment racket is really a pretty taxing gig as it turns out. It's a full time job in itself. I don't know where the days go, but they just fly by.

My clock is all messed up. I crawl out of bed at the crack of nine. Click on my laptop and start the coffee while it powers up. Almost three hours of internet searching scream by when I realize I need to scramble to get to my noon yoga class. I end up jogging there every day in order to make it in time. After yoga, where I practice my stretching, breathing, and Zen techniques, I usually go for a long walk. I get home to have a little bite of lunch and clean up and by now it's late afternoon. What have I done? Eh hem. Not much of anything, actually. I have spent a couple hours scanning and replying to emails, checking out some job websites, researched some schools and maybe...just maybe...I've sent a resume to someone. I might run to the store to pick up toilet paper or some other essential, then meet a friend for happy hour (it's actually cheaper than groceries these days). I get home and do some more internet nonsense, read my book(s), write a few ideas down on paper and head to bed around 2.00 a.m. It's a full day! How is one suppose to fit a job into that schedule? I ask you?

Hardly working? I think not.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I hear you! I recently became somewhat employed after being somewhat underemployed...and I know how fast the days can go without it seeming like you get anything done! Life itself just takes a lot of time...We're trained to think an eight-hour workday is the norm but really that's forced upon us and is so unnatural! (she says, to justify her own slackerdom.) Anyway, it's great to see you are still blogging!

wanderwoman said...

Yeah, 8 hours a day and FIVE days a week? That's just insane. It's downright unhealthy. And I, for one, am into good health!