Friday, August 14, 2009

My Life Not Lost

You may notice I've changed the title of my blog from "Lost in Transition" to "My Life in Transition." I decided after almost 3 years the word "Lost" has a bit of a negative connotation. After delving into such books as "The Law of Attraction," "The Secret", and "The Alchemist," as well being a believer that we attract what we dwell upon, I decided being "lost" isn't what I wanted to dwell upon or create for myself.

In reality, I'm not actually lost at all. I'm simply transitioning, and, while going through the process of discovering my next career has become somewhat of a career in and of itself, I do think I am on the right path. I've got a basic, although fuzzy, outline of where I'm headed. With each little side step or diversion along the way, I learn something new, gain an additional skill, meet interesting a valuable people, and have an experience (usually good, sometimes questionable).

My sales consultant career at the 'Bridal Barn' has come to a close. Weirdly enough I actually enjoyed working there the past five months. What could be more fun than dressing excited girls up like princesses all day? Hell, there are days I wouldn't mind dressing up in some ridiculously expensive frock and doing a runway walk. It's been three weeks and I sort of miss my brides, as well as my co-workers. Ah well, on to the next adventure. Currently I'm working in a law firm downtown for a few months, thanks to my wonderful sister-in-law who is always looking out for me. Another play, another cast of characters. The work isn't nearly as fun as the bridal shop, but fun, as well all know, rarely pays as well.

While describing my latest temp job to a friend her immediate response was "Wow, that's great! This could go somewhere. You might decide you want to get into paralegal work or something. This is good for your resume. You never know where this could lead."

I must have been looking at her sideways, because she was quickly snapped back to the reality of who she was talking about.

"Oh, that's not you is it?"

Although that is not my ultimate career goal, she is right about one thing. You never know what one thing might lead to. I honestly enjoy trying out different types of work and switching it up every few months. For seventeen years I worked in the insurance industry and while definitely more lucrative, I became bored and frustrated to tears (literally some days).

So no, "lost" I am not. I am on the exact path I'm suppose to be on, although it may not be a path others can appreciate or even see from their own maps. I'm certain that I'll arrive in the right place at the right time.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

The new title is great, though I never thought of you as "lost". I think of the the U2 lyric, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for." Who has for that matter... certainly not me!

Little White Cloud said...

I think a life of value needs to be reevaluated all the time. How do we know a path worth taking if not after we tried it? Follow our heart is a something hard to do since society has a different idea of success then our heart usually dictate. Keep moving on the path you have chosen. Don't stop and look back since in the act of moving forward you already lead by example. That dreams are worth having and the experience of striving for your dream is in its self rewarding.