Sunday, June 29, 2008

Bow Out Gracefully

My D.C. hat trick fell a little flat. The program continues to proceed with challenges and complications due to a total lack of planning on my boss's part. It's been an extremely stressful couple of weeks. While in D.C. I had a very long-winded phone call with the boss and told him that once this program was done, I was finished. He actually hung up on me! Later he claimed a dropped call, but I've witnessed his hang ups with others over the past several months. I'm certain it was no 'dropped call.'  

So my plan was to turn in my formal resignation upon his arrival back to Seattle on July 1st. Much to my dismay, he called the office and told the interns (not me directly) that he wasn't returning until after the 4th of July. Sheesh, I can't even quit this job! 

Confiding in #8 proved to be a further exercise in frustration. "You need to get a good job first. Have you been looking?" Have I been looking? Did he completely miss the part where I'm working 24/7 keeping my head above water getting through these programs? When would I be looking for a better job? Yes, in an ideal world having a job until finding another job would be the thing to do. However, I haven't had a moment to myself in the past month. How can I even job search, no less go on interviews? 

My plan? Resign as gracefully as possible without totally burning the bridge. Bridge burning is just not my style. Temp, pet sit and continue banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do next. 

One thing I plan on doing .... enjoy every minute of this amazing Seattle summer weather we're finally blessed with!



 

No comments: