Monday, June 9, 2008

Gifts From The Men In My Life

This just gets better and better. A couple weekends ago #8 takes me out for a nice Saturday afternoon/evening. It was a rainy start so we poked through some antique shops, then hunkered down in a tea house near the market. We sipped yummy fresh teas and played scrabble on the cozy sofa. Contrary to the belief that I've become an old teetotaler, it was delightful and slightly romantic (it was #8 after all). When the sun came out (around 6 pm) we strolled the market festival, and then worked our way up to the theaters to have a bite and watch a movie. After the movie, however, Eight announced his early morning guard duty and dumped me off at the front door of my building with nothing more than a peck. Something about how he'd like to come up for a 'quickie' but having to get all re-dressed afterward to go home... Yeah yeah....whatever. I'm getting used to the sexless routine with this guy. 

Next day he shows up at the my apartment with a DVD player. Having noticed that I'm still operating with a VCR (yes, the 12:00 flashing and all), he decided to pick up a DVD player at the military base store. Okay, that was really thoughtful and sweet of him. However, after hooking it up, we discovered it didn't work. So off he trotted with my new gift to test it at his house to see if it was the player or my TV. That was over a week ago. He did call a few days later to let me know the player worked just fine at his house. 

Now my boss. Last week, as I mentioned previously, was hellacious. My two hour Saturday duty turned into a full day of work. By Sunday I was ready for a day off. At eleven in the morning on Sunday my boss calls from California. He's supposedly working on a project down there. He calls me while driving down the highway in a rented convertible with the top down, the wind blowing through his gray hair and he's bragging about the 80 degree weather (is that so smart?). He tells me I should treat myself on the company dime to a nice spa day and massage. Well, that is awfully generous and kind. However, as it turns out, it's impossible to 1. find many spas open on Sundays and 2. find one that is open and has an opening for a massage or any other spa treatment service. I also have two dog walks and a cat to feed that day, so not like my afternoon is wide open. I finally give up the idea. Nice thought, but just a little too late. 

Today, while holding down the fort and working like crazy again, I decide I AM going to go have that massage/spa treatment. I call a few places this afternoon, but come across the same problem. It's just too late notice. No one has an opening for me. I decide to just go downtown after work and walk into some spas and see what they can do for me. Maybe if I show up looking haggard and worn out, they'll have pity on me and take me under their soothing wings. I go to a couple with no luck. I decide to try Gene Juarez as a last ditch effort. Sure enough, they are open until 9.00 p.m.  The fellow at the front desk asks me what kind of treatment I'm looking for. 

"Anything," I reply. "Anything that involves, skin, touch, relaxation. A facial, a massage, a wrap, an eyebrow wax. I don't even care at this point." Okay, I think my haggard, wasted look and pissy attitude is working on the guy. He gets me into a "Tranquility Massage" and highly recommends the ultra special shower treatment afterwards. The massage isn't for fifteen minutes, but he suggests I check in immediately to get into my robe, drink some tea and start the relaxing process pronto! Clearly I really was a sight. 

The experience was lovely. The plush robe, the fancy slippers that massage your feet as you pad around the tranquil, fountain filled spa, herbal tea while your feet soak in a soapy bowl of warm water. Aaah, I'm feeling better already. The massage was fabulous. I've only had one other massage in my life which also was a gift from my friend, Lucky Mom. Not sure why I don't do this more often. I'm sure it has something to do with finances. But wow, this is nice. After my treatment, I am lead to the shower for an incredible experience of jets, shower, steam, fancy bath products and super bath sheets to envelope my jello-like limbs as I step out into the lounge. Yes, yes, this is all working really well. I hang out a while longer, enjoying the relaxation room, quenching my thirst and re-hydrating, yet standing next to the warm fireplace. Ummm. Perfect. 

I finally get myself together and walk out into the main area to peruse the products. I love products. I don't purchase any this visit, but it's fun to look, test and sample. 

I walk up to the counter to pay. I hand the cashier my company credit card which my boss had instructed me to do, and low and behold, it's DENIED! So now I'm immediately tense, humiliated and down $125 that didn't have in the first place! Thanks for the gift, Boss.




4 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, geez, Dr. Crazy strikes again.

So, I called him this morning and told him I could put in some hours part time if he needed (mainly because I'm fretting about $$, not because I want to be there). We shall see how that goes.

In any case, you might be seeing me around the office sometime soon... perhaps I'm the crazy one, huh?!

wanderwoman said...

I sure hope to see you around the office!! We are in need of some Rachel!

Anonymous said...

Denied? WTF? Also, I didn't know this is only your 2nd massage ever. Yeessh. :> )

wanderwoman said...

Yes, LM, second massage and I'm in desperate need of another already!