Monday, January 14, 2008

Feeling a Bit Sheepish

As I drone on incessantly about my whiny petty issues (I can't even call them problems, because they really aren't) regarding #8, dogs eating my underwear, and the ever unpredictable and complicated bus commutes around our fair city, I am suddenly slapped into reality by my wonderful and patient friends.

Last Saturday I had some girls over to reconnect after several years of not seeing each other all at once. Years ago we all worked together, all in our early 20's, ready to conquer the world. It was a great day of catching up, reminiscing, telling old stories and venting new 40 something frustrations that life has thrown our way. These women and their lives made me more aware of how silly some of my blogs must sound. One woman has a special needs child she and her husband adopted from China. Although they absolutely adore their daughter and are so happy with their choice, it's clear that the challenges this little gal has brought to my friend have been difficult at times. She is doing an amazing job raising her daughter and I salute her!

Another friend is very recently a widow. Her husband died suddenly of a massive heart attack in the night. No advanced warning. No signs. Her husband was the same age as me. My friend has been the most stoic rock trying to get through each day, each holiday, each mile-stone for the sake of their young son. Yes, I salute her!

The third woman at our little soiree is the mother of two teenage girls and wife of a trying husband of 20 years. She and her husband are going to counseling, trying to make their marriage stronger and more loving. It'd be easy for her to leave and I'm sure it's been a thought that's crossed her mind more than once over the last 20 years. But she is working at it to make life better for her and her family. I salute her!

My brother and sister-in-law, who I love, are going through a divorce. It's been very difficult for her as it wasn't how she wanted things to end. Through it all, she is doing her level best to be amicable and reasonable in order to keep some peace and sanity in her home and her heart. I, too, salute her!

More women I salute: My friend whose sister has been struggling with a brain tumor for several years now, my friend who has been treating for Hepititis C, and others who are jumping hurdles every day.

One thing that all these women have, as well as all the other women in my world who find themselves in one of life's twisted pickles, is their sense of humor! On Saturday the four of us laughed at old times. We laughed when our friend ranted openly about her little girl's annoying attachment to her daddy. We laughed at our other friend's stories of her impossible husband. And my sister-in-law calls me regularly and I hear her laugh as she reveals the latest ridiculous antic my brother has thrown at her.

As they say, if you don't laugh, you'll cry. Both are certainly good forms of release, but the laughter is a whole lot more fun!

Cheers to my women friends who help me keep my weird life in perspective!

Tomorrow, however, I'll be right back to my own rants about #8, pet nanny peeves, and other Wander Woman wonderments.

No comments: