Friday, May 16, 2008

Vespa Hog

Apparently, I'm now in the 'cool' crowd. Last winter my boss bought a Vespa for the office. The company vehicle. Well, he and I are the office...and he already has a vehicle and I don't see him, a 57 year old, over weight man, zipping around on a bright yellow scooter. Actually, I have seen him and it's entertaining. Yeah, of all the colors lined up outside the Vespa dealer, he chooses bright yellow? He must have gotten a great deal.


So basically he bought the thing for me to ride. He hates that I take the bus. What's wrong with the bus? He insists that it doesn't go anywhere and only crazies ride the bus. He has never ridden the bus in his life. True it's a challenge, but it's workable with some patience and practice. It took me about six months to really get it figured out with all the routes, rules, fare requirements and schedules. But I've got it down. And as for the crazies, it's what makes life interesting.



I do love riding the Vespa. It's a 150cc so slightly heavier than what I rode while in Europe and noticeably a nicer ride! Gas is minimal, I can park it anywhere and it's fun. What I've noticed recently is that other riders wave at me. I was unaware of two wheeler etiquette. At first when another scooter would go past and wave, I wasn't sure they were waving at me. Maybe they saw someone they knew in the car near me? But after a few more waves I realized that they were actually waving at me. I thought "Oh, we wave at fellow scooter riders. How cute."



Then yesterday while riding home from work, I noticed a lot more bikers on the road. Such a gorgeous day and all, everyone was out riding. And ALL the bikers were waving at me! Even those on the 'big boy bikes.' Some dude on a Harley rides past me and gives me one of those index finger/trigger pulling kind of waves. I could only laugh! I'm like the cool chick on my little yellow "hog". I'm now part of an elite group: Motorcycle Mamas. My dream for some time has been to learn to ride a Harley and tour around the states. I'm working my way up slowly. But at least I've been accepted into the club.

No comments: