Wednesday, May 14, 2008

80 Degrees Please

Do I even need to say "enough is enough?" I mean really, what day is this? May 14th or December 14th? It's really getting hard to tell anymore. The lining and pockets of my winter coat have shredded, I've lost or worn out three pair of gloves this season alone, and my scarves are beginning to tatter. It's time to retire these bits of woolen fabrics and pull out the spring clothes that we in Seattle never wear out!

Our warm weather clothes last far beyond the fashion trends. Yes, I know that is no reason to continue wearing out of fashion sandals, but in keeping with the current "Green" campaign, I find it difficult to discard a perfectly good pair of sandals that have barely been worn because our weather is not conducive to such skin revealing footwear. Besides that I'm a low income case and need to embrace the "everything old is new again" motto.

Last week a friend met me for a lunchtime walk and I had to ask her to bring me a scarf to wear because I stupidly forgot mine. I forgot where I was for a moment that morning as I left for the office! Silly me. It's only May! I can't walk out of the house without my scarf, gloves and turtleneck.

As another friend commented during this weekend's constant drizzle, and I agreed wholeheartedly, "I'm about to claw my way out of this city." Oh, how appropriate. She, however, is clawing her way out and moving to Tennessee! She's packed up her apartment and will be on her way soon, leaving me behind in the mist and gray skies.

My boss is sure I'm going to bail on him any minute and head off to Guatemala. Hmmm, I hadn't really been thinking of Guatemala, but now that he mentions it....

For the last week I've been hearing everyone say "it's suppose to get into the 80's by the end of next week." Tomorrow is the beginning of the "end of next week" and I am getting my old, yet perfectly new, sandals out tonight in preparation for the event.

Optimism: It's one of my finest qualities!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sun is actually out! Whoo Hoo! (for non-Seattlites - this is a day of celebration) I wore my strappy little sandals to work today. Ran into a gal in the elevator who also had sandals on. She commented that I was braving it like her today! :)
Amy

wanderwoman said...

Whoo Hoo is right! I think we will all see a definite change in attitude as we're out playing this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Girl, we're pushing 100 every day now for a month. With more sun than is healthy for human beings. The only way to beat it is at the beach - in the water - with an ice cold beer. I've worn through 4 pairs of flip flops in the past year. What are you doing in Seattle?

wanderwoman said...

I can't even give you a proper and logical answer, Anonymous. It's a mystery.