Sunday, October 28, 2007

Post Speed Dating Review

Because my new job thingy required a trip to Yakima and back yesterday, I had to opt out of any of the Halloween invites I'd previously received, but was able to get back in time to swing by the Karma Martini Lounge in Belltown for my originally schedule Speed Dating event. Aaah, yes, speed dating. It's an interesting concept and one I rather enjoy. Just go out, meet and talk to 10 guys within a couple hours, cast your votes for the ones you want to see again...and see what happens. It's so much less time consuming than the tedious task of regular Internet dating.

So how did it go, you may be asking. Let me give you the run down.

Pre-Dater #11 (the first gentleman for me to meet) was immediately annoyed by my use of the word "chemistry." As in, "I'm looking for someone with whom I connect, have a spark and there is a chemistry." Yeah, apparently this fella has been bombarded with the word chemistry. Six minutes of pretty much him gagging over the use of that word. Alrighty then. Moving on.

Pre-Dater #10, a tall fella with long hair and pleasant smile, seemed interesting in some way, but honestly I can't really remember any details about him...except that he works outside a lot, in various neighborhoods. A general contractor? I don't think so. Real Estate? Ummmm...no, that wasn't it. Six minutes. Six very quick minutes to talk to these men. No real time to jot down notes.

Pre-Dater #9 informs me that he technically isn't exactly divorced. He was...he thought, but now he's not. Huh? Apparently, his wife, err ex-wife, stirred up some trouble after the divorce was final and got the divorce voided?? Yeah, I'm not sure what that is all about. I don't really care. Too messy for me. Next!

Pre-Dater #8. Oooh, here we go. He's a hottie. Stunning blue eyes and dark hair. A total turn on. An avid skier. Yum yum. Works...somewhere??? Who cares. I'm digging him. Oh, but that darn bell goes off and we have to rotate already! Oh well. Hopefully, we'll get to talk again in the near future.

Pre-Dater #7, a dentist in West Seattle (which I find out later is actually Burien. Burien is not West Seattle...at least it is not the same as West Seattle) and a collector of classic muscle cars. Other than getting a ride in his '68 Camaro, not really feeling any reason to reconnect with this one.

Pre-Dater #6 is a super smiley fella, lives nearby, skis, runs, hikes etc... Although I'd love to meet a skier/hiker and general outdoorsy guy, there was just something about him that didn't work for me. It might have been the smile. It was almost too much. Like Stan Laural of Laural and Hardy. It was distracting.

Pre-Dater #5 enjoys sci-fi movies and computer games. Ummm...yeah. Say no more.

Pre-Dater #4 is into salsa dancing and learning to play his guitar.

Almost done here.

Pre-Dater #3 was a cutie pie. Geographically not so compatible (lives in Everett), a Boeing Engineer, with a degree in Industrial Art. I think that is what he said...I was a little distracted by his cuteness.

Pre-Dater #2. I can't remember one thing about this guy. I didn't write down one notation. I only remember that I most definitely did not want to get together with him again.

Pre-Daters #1 and #12 were a no show. So that was it. Ten fellas. Six minutes each. Time to go home and make our choices on line and see if there are any 'matches'.

But before I go home, I am sitting at the bar finishing my vodka martini and Pre-Dater #11 comes over to me and begins talking. He sits down and orders a beer and we continue to chat...and chat...and we're laughing and having a decent time actually. Reminder: this is the guy who was pretending to slit his wrists when I used the word "chemistry." He manages to wrangle my phone number from me. I rarely give my number out and I'm not sure what made me do it now. Must have been the vodka martini. He walked me to my car two and half hours later. I'm not at all attracted to this man. But honestly, it was an enjoyable couple of hours. We gave each other a friendly little hug goodbye. I wasn't even home yet when I received a text message from him. I don't answer. I don't pay for text, so I don't use it as a rule.

Here's the problem. I cast my votes when I got in last night. I voted for #'s 8 (obviously, he was totally hot AND a skier), 3 and 10. I wasn't too into #10, but felt like I should give him a shot. But what about #11? We spent the rest of the night chatting. I gave him my number. How can I totally blow him off now and not vote for him? It's awkward. So I click the "yes" button. Shut my computer down and go to bed.

This morning he called and left a long and detailed voice message. He then left a message for me on the Cupid.com site. Uh oh. What have I done? Have I got a stalker on my hands?

I checked my 'matches' this morning and only numbers 10 and, of course, 11 matched with me. My other two choices did not pick the funny, fun and smart, sexy Wander Woman. Oh well. I did get picked by numbers 9 (the one in the middle of a divorced vs not divorced conflict), 7, the dentist with the muscle cars, 4, the guitar playing salsa dancer, 2, who I remember nothing about, and 6, Stan Laural. Okay, so the only three out of ten who did NOT pick me where the two I wanted to see again and the computer game playing geek. Terrific.

I am debating about giving Stan a try. He could be worth giving the time of day. I am just not certain.

I'll keep you posted on follow up dates...if they should occur.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog. Thank you.