Thursday, October 25, 2007

Bring Back the Fancy Frock

Last Saturday was my 15 yr old niece's first Homecoming Dance. A few weeks ago I went dress shopping with her and her mother. I was surprised at how fancy the dresses were for these events nowadays (I know I'm starting to sound old). They were even categorized "Homecoming Dresses" or "Social Dresses." I had use of a car on Saturday, so I drove up to Bothell to hang out and watch her get ready for her date. She and the other gals from school had spent the entire afternoon at the salon getting their hair coiffed into 'up dos', mani's, pedi's and makeup applied. Even tanning appointments were the norm. By the time they were done they looked like bridesmaids and movie stars, not teenage homecoming dates. My niece looked gorgeous all glammed up for her big night. Oooh-la-la. When was the last time you got all dolled up like that? I am pretty sure my last time was my wedding...twenty years ago! Twenty years? Can that be right? How is it that I am an adult and never have an occasion to really go all out and get "fancified?

On Friday I went to see Spamalot at the Paramount Theater. Going to the theater used to be an occasion for dressing up. Not any more. At least not in Seattle. I wore a pair of dress slacks, a sheer top and heels and my date, who was sporting jeans, said "oh, you got dressed up." Dressed up? Since when are slacks and a pretty top considered "dressed up?" But he was right. By Seattle standards, I guess I was kinda dressy. My 22 year old niece who lives on Long Island has an entire wardrobe of evening gowns and matching shoes. Okay, sure, that's Long Island. I get it. But even so. I don't own ONE (although I do have the 'special occasion' shoes! You know, the ones that look dazzling, but you can't actually walk in them.)

I'll walk along 5th Ave and glance in the windows as I pass by viewing the formal gowns glimmering behind the glass and wonder "Who is buying this stuff? And where are the going in it?" Occasionally, I'll spot someone donning an evening gown at the symphony, the opera or ballet, but it's rare. And it's usually a woman over 60. A woman who remembers the day when we used to make these events, 'real' events worth getting dressed up for.

Granted, I am guilty of running around town in all too casual wear myself many days. I walk dogs in the afternoon, so the attire is jeans and sneakers...but even so, I make an attempt at looking "put together" in my dog walking uniform. It's a challenge to run around this rainy city wearing anything less than Wellingtons and Crocks, but I, for one, wouldn't mind stepping it up a bit. I mean, it's important to feel princess-like once in a while, even as an adult! Or is that especially as an adult?

No comments: