Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Living in the (Caribbean) Clouds

Oh man. One of my dearest old high school buddies just sent me an email inviting me to go on a Caribbean cruise with her and two of her gal pals in January. I would absolutely LUV LUV LUV to go. Never mind that I never even considered a cruise before. It never seemed like my kind of vacation. All that preplanned organized structure. Eating with the same people every meal. Stopping at designated ports of call. Being on a time schedule. I always figured I'd be certain to miss the boat because I would be off fraternizing with the locals at some little beach taverna. I'd end up paying for a local fisherman to ferry me to the next port to catch up with the ship. Yes, this is my vision of me on a cruise.

Actually, that exact thing happened on a small day trip of island hopping in Greece. I was in a shop chatting with the owner. When I arrived at the harbor at what I thought was the correct time, the boat was not there. It was there a second ago when I went into the shop. I'm sure of it. I wasn't in there that long, was I? Anyway, another boat agreed to take me to meet up with my boat at one of the destinations. Unfortunately, I missed out on a whole stop. Oh well...it worked out. But you see how my gift of gab can get me into trouble.

So why am I so hell bent on going on this cruise with my friend? Well, first of all, I haven't been anywhere in months (again, forget the NY trip this summer...that was a family thing...not a 'vacation', exactly). Secondly, everyone...and I mean everyone swears that I would love a cruise. Everyone I've ever talked to has loved a cruise, even those who didn't think it would be for them. Some say it still isn't their preferred method of vacationing, but they had a great time and were glad they went. And thirdly, I know I'd have a blast with my friend....on this cruise thing...in the Caribbean (which I most certainly love!). She and I have been friends for 27 years and when we are together, which is not often enough, there is a LOT of laughing going on.

So what's the problem? You guessed it....$$$$. Get job, no vacation time accrued to take cruise. No job, no money to pay for vacation. Riddle me that? How is this very underemployed girl going to pay for such an extravagance? Getting a decent paying job to pay for said cruise would mean not having vacation yet to actually take said cruise. But at the rate I'm going now, how would I even consider paying for a cruise? It's such a vicious cycle....this whole job, vacation, eating thing.

Then there are all the other vacations swirling around in my head. My teacher friend in Oman is expecting me in March. My ski/golf buddy is begging me to go to Key Stone in December. I'm contemplating going back to school the first of the year. Where is all this imaginary money coming from? I barely made my rent this month.

You know how you hear about divorced money? Whenever there is a woman who has a surplus of cash people whisper "well, she's been married twice. She must have gotten huge settlements." I don't know that money. My ex-husband is the resident and current owner of "our" former home which has tripled in value. He also owns the ski condo which has done the same. He has just purchased a fancy wancy Audi something or other, and has a doctor girlfriend. Yeah....divorced money? Heaven knows I'm no financial wizard. Actually, I'm wizardly enough, I just refuse to conform to the normal ways it takes to actually have dough. I'll get there...eventually. In the meantime, I need to figure out a way to go on ALL my vacations, pay my rent, go back to school AND eat now and then.

Yeah yeah...I know, someone who is truly destitute would have a hay day with this post!

No comments: