Friday, June 4, 2010

Bucket Lists and More

Many of us have our "List" of things we want to accomplish before we "kick the proverbial bucket". This list generally includes fun, adventurous and daring feats. Things we'd like to do, but either don't have the funds, time or guts to follow through- at least not until the end is nearing.

We also have the list of things every woman should own. You've all seen the email that has made the circuit....more than once. It starts with a black lacy bra and ends with a power drill.

A friend once gave me one of those little gift books "What Every Woman Should Do Once".

1. Dye your hair blonde and see if they really do have more fun (I have and they don't)
2. Date a guy you met on the internet (who hasn't done this now-a-days?)
3. Own something leather, besides a coat or gloves (does a pair of shoes or a belt count?)
4. Invent an interesting past (better yet, live an interesting life so you don't have to invent too much.)
5. Head to the airport and fly anywhere (now they're talkin' my kind of language!)

I decided a long time ago I wasn't about to wait until I possessed those three crucial things: funds, time or guts, before starting to check items off my Bucket List. Besides, we never really know when the end is nearing, so why wait? I learned to scuba dive, bungee jumped on my 40th birthday, lived and traveled abroad-solo, lived on a houseboat thanks to the generosity of a dear friend who helped me out of a jam. I had the privilege of living on a Greek Island where everyone rode a Vespa, worked in an art museum and a bridal shop. Eeerrr, okay, the bridal shop was definitely not on my bucket list. But it turned out to be an enlightening and entertaining experience none-the-less.

In conjunction with my Bucket List, I have a "Things I must learn how to do" List.

1. Speak a second language fluently. It's the "fluently" part that keeps this from being checked off my list.
2. Travel alone (check)
3. Learn to Tango
4. Learn to sing. I took a class many years ago called "Anyone Can Sing". After working with me for a few months, the instructor had to rename the class "Almost Anyone Can Sing". Sometimes you just need to accept your limitations. I scratched this off my list entirely.
5. Learn to change a car tire. The fact that I don't own a car is irrelevant. I borrow them plenty.
6. Learn to ride a motorcycle.

Although I have plenty of experience riding a Vespa, I have always had the dream of learning to ride a "big girl" bike...a Harley even. So this weekend, I'm taking the motorcycle riding training course. Unfortunately, it's suppose to rain all weekend, but the course is held rain or shine. So I shall don my big girl rain panties and go for it.

If I am able to get through the course with out killing myself, I'll attack that tire changing goal next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to see the sun shining for you this morning! Just don't drop the helmet! ha! I admire you - have fun!

Anonymous said...

Once you learn to ride I'll rent the Harley, if you let me ride on the back!! I actually tried riding a "big girl bike" many years ago and almost rode through my neighbors front window. I'm happy to stay a passenger, but you go girl.