Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Motorcycle-itis

Yup, that's all she wrote. I have complete motorcycle-itis after my weekend on a fairly teeny weeny, yet still dangerous, machine. When I came back from Europe all I wanted was a little 50cc Scooter. Something to just zip around town, pick up some groceries, no motorcycle endorsement or insurance required. Something simple and cute, maybe even in pink. Yes, definitely pink.

Then my previous freaky boss buys the 150cc Vespa (Bright yellow. Is it a taxi cab or a scooter?) and we have to take the motorcycle test and get our endorsements. After the 150cc I no longer wanted to go back to the 50cc. The power of the 150 is substantial and quite noticeable climbing any of our steep Seattle hills. However, the price difference of the two is also quite substantial. So I've been getting around just fine on the lovely, somewhat dependable, Metro.

When I signed up for the motorcycle course, it was simply to learn how to ride a motorcycle. I knew my goal was to someday take longer rides, meet other riders, and hopefully take some motorcycle trips. Another female classmate (there were just the two of us after the first day along with five men) was only taking the class to learn the safety skills for riding a two-wheeled vehicle in the city since she had just purchased a 50cc scooter. By the end of day one on the bikes we were both abandoning the idea of scooters and considering what kind of motorcycles we wanted to buy instead.

As usual with me, I bonded with that woman, we exchanged numbers, planned to ride together and will probably be friends for life. Only I would go to a motorcycle class and meet and befriend the only other woman in the class. If I died tomorrow, my funeral would be like a
attending a Celine Dion concert or Storm game. Not that large of a crowd, of course, but definitely 90% women. Wonderful women nonetheless!

For the past two days a co-worker who is an avid rider has been sending me craigslist ads of various bikes and scooters that would be ideal for a novice rider and within my budget (no, neither of us is getting any actual work done for the company we work for). My brother has sent me a lengthy two part email describing bikes, features, what I should look for and look out for regarding motorcycles. I'm on information overload. I am hoping to buy some sort of motorized two-wheel bike thingy soon. However, I think I have some time as I'm sitting here with my freshly pedicured toes, hopeful for sandal season to begin, listening to the rain pour down in sheets outside my window on this 9th day of JUNE!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting a bike eh? That's a big step for you! Ask Donna about her ride too as I'm sure she's pretty up on them!

Anonymous said...

As a long-time friend of yours, I can totally see that this might be great fun for you. A way to escape the daily grind and let the wind blow through your hair (the part that hangs out past the helmet anyway!) Although I must say that I envision you on a shiny white (or retro turquoise) Harley. Yep, a Harley Davidson. Leather chaps and all. Please leave the halter & tube tops at home. HB

wanderwoman said...

Yes, eventually I shall work my way up to a Harley!

Jessi said...

Oh my gosh, motorcycles terrify me, but I could see you definitely getting into this. Oh, and I would totally befriend the only girl in the class as well. And I haven't read the rest of your blogs and need to get on that, but I didn't know you went to Europe. Awesome!