Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Discussion With The Dude Upstairs

So I made it through my least favorite month; that grey, wet, windy month of November. A friend pointed out to me that there was, in fact, only one sunny day in November and that day was the Friday after Thanksgiving. I didn't google the weather for the month, but she is probably correct. The month itself actually wasn’t so bad. I was super busy pet sitting, studying, reading, bookclub-ing, yoga-ing, and hanging with friends. Went to a couple of free shows and cheap concerts and basically just enjoyed myself. Almost forgot it was crappy old November there for awhile.

I’ve also, like the majority of the population these days, been job hunting. Not that I've ever stopped the job hunt completely, but I've turned up the volume once again. My current temp job finishes at the end of the year. The law offices of “Bickerstein, Gossipski, and Grumpfeld” are closing their doors for good. Although I’ve actually enjoyed working there for the most part, it is time to move onward, once again, in search of that ‘real live’ employment opportunity (one that comes with health benefits preferably). I’ve had some good leads recently, however, that’s all they’ve amounted to so far. Leads. Nothing has come to fruition as of yet. But I keep looking and keep praying. It goes about like this:


Me: Dear God, please send a perfect-for-me job my way.
God: Sure thing, WW, what is it you want specifically?
Me: Gee God, I don't know exactly, but it should be lucrative and flexible...I'm not really a morning person...
God: Uh Huh, what else?
Me: Ummm...oh I don't know...it should be fun, suit my skills, rewarding.
God: Okay, details?
Me: Oh, I don't know. You must have some thoughts. You know me better than me. Just do whatever you think is best. I'll stand by. Thanks, God!
God: Oiy vey.

In the meantime, while I wait for God to reach into his bag of tricks on my behalf (and somehow I’m pretty sure I’m not first on his agenda), I’m just going to continue what I started in November and enjoy December!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a tale...

A guy was caught in a flood. The water kept rising and rising, soon he was up on his roof watching the water get closer and closer to his perch. He prayed that God would intervene and save him from what looked like sure drowning.

A person comes with a row boat and called to the man, telling him to jump aboard. The man called back that his faith was in God and that he would wait on the Lord to save him. After some pleading, they left as the man held to his beliefs.

Shortly after that, with the water continuing to rise, another rescue boat came back by. Again they pleaded with the man but again, he stayed put and kept his faith that God would rescue him.

As the man looked out over the large expanse of water that surrounded him, he heard a helicopter approaching from out of the distance. The helicopter hovered just above the man’s roof and let down a basket for the man to climb into. Surely with the water lapping at his feet, he would allow himself to be rescued. The man waved the helicopter off, yelling out his intentions to wait on God to rescue him, that he had unerring faith and that he was assured he would be safe.

The water rose very quickly and with a great and mighty current washed him from his roof and he drown. When he got to heaven he asked God why He had let him perish. He told God about how strong his faith was and how he had prayed over and over for God to rescue him.

God smiled softly and lovingly at the man and said, “What do you want from me? I sent you two boats and a helicopter!”

wanderwoman said...

Nice story, but that guy was just an idiot! My friends have given me tips on jobs and I've been 'hopping in the boat' and applying whether the boat looks stable or not. I'm climbing in.

You Know Who said...

Have you been hitting church again?

wanderwoman said...

Church or possibly Synagogue...

Angee said...

It's totally true... you definitely hop in the boat... even when the waves are high! :-)