Thursday, December 31, 2009

Merry Bah Humbug and a Happy New Year

Wow. What a season. It was busy and full of the usual holiday festivities. There was a definite "Merry Bah Humbug" in the air. In one sense the holiday season drives us crazy. For instance those piped in Christmas carols in every store. I love holiday music, but you hear "Jingle Bells" screeching over the speakers at Macy's one too many times and you begin to cringe at the sound of all carols, sung anywhere...even in church, where they most certainly belong.

I love Christmas cookies, especially sugar cookies. They are the quintessential holiday treat. I practically live for them. I didn't bake any myself (way too much work in my tiny kitchenette) but I figured co-workers and clients would be bestowing cookies and treats on our office all month long. Wrong. Not one cookie entered the halls of AKJ Law. Not that my waistline needed such extravagance, but sheesh, it's Christmas. I wanted a damn cookie! Shaped like a tree maybe or a star...with those little green and red sprinkles on it. To make matters worse, my ex-mother-in-law was the queen of Christmas cookies and treats. I was lamenting to a friend about how I'd wished I 'd at least gotten a few recipes off that woman before my divorce. A few days later, I receive an email from this same friend bragging about the plate of "Marge's cookies" she just plowed through. She and my ex-husband are still friends. Sigh.

And don't even get me started on the crowds and all the mad spending. I'm running shopping errands during my lunch break so, of course, I'm in a hurry. Invariably, I'm stuck behind the lallygaggers who are strolling through the stores getting in my way. On one hand I'm annoyed by their lackadaisical pace, on the other I'm quite envious. Why aren't I slowly meandering through the shops holding hands with my sweetie savoring the Christmas moment?

Then there is the big question of the year, what to buy for whom? It's like everyone is traipsing through the stores seeking the best way to throw their money away. "Would you like a gift receipt with that?" the sales woman asks. "Hell yeah, cause I'm pretty sure Mary Sue is going to want to return this piece of crap anyway." Why do we spend so much time searching to spend? I do the same. I refuse to cave to the gift card idea and insist on giving an actual gift- something the receiver can "open". Except I am so bad at it. I ponder far too long and then all the good stuff in the right sizes and best colors are gone. And the scales of equality are all off kilter. Someone you normally exchange small tokens with suddenly presents you with an extravagant gift. There is just no way to feel good about that exchange.

Yeah, the Christmas season is full of traditions that can make any person at least a little crazy. But then there are the wonderful bits. Like the lights and decorations downtown that are so elegant and cheery, you can't help but feel the spirit. The Ginger Bread House display at the Sheraton and The Figgy Pudding Caroling Contest that is full of talent and surprises. The Christmas shows, plays, musical entertainment throughout the month of December at a variety of prices (including free) so everyone can find something to celebrate the season. This year I attended the Cirque de la Symphony at Benaroya Hall (highly recommended for the spendier lot) and the Improv Christmas Carol at the Pike Place Market Theater (a very affordable, entertaining must see).

My number one favorite Christmas thing, however, is my little 3-4' table top Christmas tree. Decorated in ornaments from various places I've visited and full of memories, it's my 'feel good' moment when I plug in those lights as soon as I get home. Because of its size, the entire process of getting the tree, putting it up, dragging out the Xmas box, decorating and cleaning up all took approximately 2 hours of my precious time. Small commitment for such great pleasure.

Getting through Christmas is only half the battle, as New Year's Eve follows on its heels in full force. Everyone wants to know what you're doing for New Year's. New Year's is one of those holidays that is reminiscent to those high school Tolos. The dances where the girls have to ask the boys to go with them. I always played along, but in hindsight I realize I hated those dances. The pressure of who to ask (I never had a steady boyfriend to go to those stupid things with), shopping for the perfect outfit, planning the evening events, getting the picture taken at the dance, and the inevitable -- never going out with the boy again.

New Year's Eve seems to have the same flavor. All week long people are asking me what my plans are. Usually, I make a plan, go to a party, go out of town, whatever it is, it seems to be a bit of a let down in the end. The ever ending traipsing around in search of a bad party. That damn clock ticks over to 12.00 midnight everyone around me is kissing someone. In the end, I go home alone and wake up to ponder another year...usually hung over from all the booze the night before.

This year, although there were plenty of opportunities to go out, dress up, and bring in the new year with others, I just wasn't in the mood. So I vowed to stay home and watch the Space Needle fireworks from my livingroom window. With a bird's eye view of the Needle, I am going to settle in, with a glass of bubbly, my tree lights on, reflect on my weird little life and watch the show. My first New Year's Eve alone. I love trying new things.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Happy New Year, Loreley! I should have called you... I ordered in Chinese and watched movies. Fine with me... :)

Anonymous said...

I think you buy the best gifts. The girls and I have loved our new "lounge wear".
Here's to a great 2010 and hopes we have great plans for New Years next year! : )

Anonymous said...

Lol, people that know you know that anything you do, whether it's doing a friend a favor, giving a gift or just hanging out, is done with thoughtfulness, kindness and love. You can't put a monetary value on a priceless gift like that.

Looking forward to a great 2010 and I'm sure we'll have some great adventures and many laughs along the way.

wanderwoman said...

Thank you, all, for your wonderful encouraging comments! You're the best.