Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Not Alone

While I was out walking the Boston Terrier I am dog sitting this week, I bumped into the dog sitter walking the German Shepard in his charge next door. We got to chatting (because that's what I do best) and within a brief encounter I learn that my fellow dog sitter is a 40 something year old man in transition. Just out of a 10 year relationship (he's gay for all of you whose eyebrows just raised hopeful for me), Fellow Dog Sitter is in Seattle staying at his friend's next door trying to decide where his life will take him next. Previously a chef, he's been unemployed for the past year and he is ready to do something different in the field of food. Ready to try a new city, he's here for a few weeks to check out Seattle and see if he'd like to move here. Or maybe he'll go try somewhere else. He's not sure.

We exchanged a brief history, background, hopes and desires before heading in our opposite directions. He was returning from his dog walk and I was just setting out. As I continued down my path, I smiled thinking to myself, "yup, there are a lot of us out there."

No comments: