Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Coupling

I realize the biblical, historical, traditional and economical situations of the past resulted in the need for 'coupling.' But why is so much focus placed on being a 'couple' in today's modern world? In the past coupling was a business transaction, between families. Fathers negotiated over their children when they were still small as a matter of what...and who...would make the most business sense.

Today coupling is still big business. How many 'mate finding' services are out there these days? Hundreds? Thousands? Match.com, Yahoo.com, Cupid.com, eHarmony.com, It's Just Lunch, Speed Dating, Blind Dating, Singles Mixers, Events and Adventures. The list goes on.

eHarmony advertises their success rate at not just finding you a partner, but finding you a spouse. Match.com promises that if you don't find someone 'special' within six months, they will give you six months free. After six months of that brutal process, why would I want to continue the same exact process for another six months. Most people I know move on and try different avenues after six months of grueling dates.

Yes, I've attempted all the traditional and 21st century dating methods...and I continue to date anyway. Last week I had a blind date. It was a set up by a woman friend I met at a singles mixer. Only I would go to a singles mixer to meet men and come away with yet more women friends! Anyway, this friend wanted to set me up with her good friend and I said "sure, why not." After I agreed, she sent me his photograph. Ummm, okay kind of too late to back out at this point. And it'd be rude. I mean not everyone takes the best photos. I, for one, do not photograph well, and my friends would agree.

The date was typical. We meet, have a nice conversation over dinner, I don't feel any physical attraction to Mr. BD (Blind Date) whatsoever, I pay my half of the meal, he does not offer to drive me home, and he wants to see me again. sigh. When does this cycle end? And what is wrong with men in this town? Does anyone out there date a man with manners?

Last night #8 (yeah, he's still in the picture although more on the edges...the mat really) had me over to his house for a homemade Italian dinner. The meal was great, he served wine rather than milk or water for a change, we watched a movie, had fantastic sex in the middle of the film, finished the movie and then he sent me out the door to catch my bus at 10.30 p.m. Now I wasn't even suggesting he drive me home. As a matter of fact, I told him I would catch the bus. But doesn't it seem polite to at least walk a girl to the bus stop four blocks away and wait til she got safely on the the bus? I mean, I walked my gal pal to the bus the other night as she didn't live in my neighborhood and it was late at night. What's wrong with this (and most) men? I honestly do not get it. It must be me. Part of the problem is I won't ask a guy to do these favors. I expect them to just know how to behave. Then they don't pass the test because they are simpletons and I get annoyed.

Coupling. Yeah. I need to just date for the sake of dating...or rather for the 'sex of dating'. And continue living my quite exciting, free, and pretty fulfilling single life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

o.k. I'm still hot on the fact that 10:30 at night it's friggin dark. And he didn't walk you out to the stop?

I'm done with him.

wanderwoman said...

Yeah, me too. I think it was a final wake up call. If I let a guy treat me like that, then that is how I'll be treated. How Dr. Phil of me, huh?