Sunday, February 3, 2008

Since You've All Asked...

I haven't seen N.O. (Numero Ocho) still. He did email me this long-ass explanation on Thursday about his current full plate, but said he wanted to see me this weekend. From the tone of his email, it occured to me that while I was concerned that he was giving me the dump, I think he is actually concerned that I may give him the dump-a-roo. I basically told him I understood his situation, but I didn't want him to 'jam' me into his already packed schedule and just be an added stress, obligation etc. And also, I already made plans for Saturday night cause I got the impression he was too busy and I hadn't heard from him. So we were going to try for tonight (Sunday), but he called and left a message while I was in Pilates, saying he had to study tonight after he gets home from his Nat'l Guard Duty. Maybe Monday. Blah blah blah...whatever. I honestly am not all jazzed up about this character and becoming less so. I just want the sex at this point, and if I'm only going to go to dinner, which I pay for, and later get dropped off at my door, then forget it. I know I'm just terrible, but ...well...that's how it is.



Last night my best and oldest friend came to town to visit from Spokane. I don't mean oldest as in she's 70. I mean oldest as in we've been friends for almost thirty years. Wow. Not too many people I can say that about. Just a small handful.



It turns out we discover, while imbibing on a bottle of red, we are dating the same man. Figuratively, of course. The similarities are uncanny. My friend and I are so much alike and our lives seem to continually parallel each others through the years. We like to think of ourselves as fun, outgoing, adventurous, open minded, and sexually active women. We are both dating conservative, safe, boring but kind, not-so-sexually active men.



In both our cases, we are not the priority in these fellas' lives. We are way down in the pecking order after children, ex-wives, parents, jobs and skiing. Somewhere after that, we come in a close sixth or seventh. We agree that we love that these guys have lives and don't suffocate us. We are both very independent with busy social and work lives. But just a bit more attention and a LOT more affection is in order to satisfy our palates.



While I was being squeezed into a quickie dinner date sans sex last Sunday, my friend was simultaneously being squeezed into a similar date with her man and his parents. The fact that we are this well connected is sometimes scary.



While we knew we needed to move from these men, and more specifically all men who resemble them, and became more adament about this fact as the wine depleted, my friend left this morning to head back to Spokane...to her man. And I had every intention of seeing #8 if he made the time. I know I promised "Annonomous" in my last comment that I'd step up and get rid of this guy. At this point, I think I'll just take it easy. I know he's just a 'dater' for me...when he's available to date. Beyond that, nothing more. So I'll keep my ear to the wall as they say, keep my eyes peeled and enjoy the moments in between.

No comments: