Monday, August 20, 2007

Weather Whiner

I may need to rethink my previous statement that I could live here...on Long Island. Why the sudden change of tune? Well, I think it comes down to the sudden change in weather! I had no idea it could be so cold in southern NY state in August! I actually think their summers are shorter than ours in Seattle (which is also currently cold and rainy, I understand). Didn't think it could be possible. My brother tells me in his town just north of the city, the peak of summer is July and then August starts to cool down. What? That doesn't sound right at all. I grew up there. I don't remember August being anything but hot and sunny. Is my memory failing me? Am I just remembering what I want to remember as a child? Hot summer nights, chasing fire flies, and roasting marshmallows over camp fires. I'm sure we did all that in August. Yes, of course we did!

I was certainly spoiled living in Greece and Turkey for three summers. Three really hot, dry, long summers. Yes the winters are just like here; cold, rainy, windy and miserable. But the summers are soooo much better and last for six months. Not TWO! After six months of 100 degree or so weather, you're kinda ready for the rain, cooler temps, hunkering down to a fire and watching the rain on the sea. But no sane person is ready for that after only two months of summer! Okay, I do know such people...but whether I'd consider them sane or not is still questionable.

My one friend is thankful for the rainy cold Seattle August because, as she claims, it will save her neck from looking 85 for a few more years. Sure, there's that. But my answer to the aging skin is slather on the SPF, wear a hat, sunglasses, drink gallons of water and enjoy! Believe me, although I crave the heat and sun, I am also a skin saver.

While visiting my brother in Callicoon for a few days, I met some of his friends. One couple lives up here for the summer and in the Florida Keys during winter. They rent their place out in the Keys during the summer months. Hmmm...I've never been to the Keys. I hear it's quite nice. Probably blistering hot in the summer. Not much work to be had since it's 'off' season for tourists. But still, I'm intrigued. Maybe if I lived in that climate for a summer I'd come to appreciate our more northern of the northern hemisphere summers.

The most interesting thing about these folks is that they are basically living the way I strive to live.

1. Very Simply (I think I've got that part down pretty well at this point)

2. Six months in one place and six month in another generally catching the best weather in both places.

3. Doing work they enjoy for the most part and earning enough to continue living the lifestyle they choose.

Well, I went out for a long walk along the beach and it was actually quite pleasant. No clothing was discarded. I wore layers of every bit of somewhat warmer clothing I brought with me....cropped jeans, sneakers, a lightweight hoodie and jean jacket. There were a few brave souls bobbing in the surf, folks sitting on the beach wearing shorts and tanks. These people must be from further north than me and find this 66 degree weather balmy. A few drops of rain fell with threats of more, but so far it's held off for today. Tomorrow doesn't look so promising. My last day here. A good day to get my nails done, read my book, pack my bags and prepare to head out west again. Look for work and keep working on where to next.

No comments: