Thursday, August 9, 2007

A Place To Call Home

After Europe, I only came back to Seattle to get myself organized. Retrieve my belongings from expensive storage, get what little finances I had in order, and say hello to sorely missed pals and family and then sail on outta here again. I didn't plan to stay in Seattle long-term- six months, a year max. I didn't feel a yearning to live in Seattle again. It no longer felt like 'home.' Although I started out interviewing for jobs and getting offers, nothing seemed quite 'right' so I only accepted temp work. I looked for an apt with a six month lease, but ended up settling for a year. This would give me enough time to research and decide where I would go next.



Portland? Nah, it felt still too much like Seattle. Although I love both places, I am looking for something new and different. San Fransisco? Too expensive. And the constant fog I hear about does not appeal to me. My friend, Steph, was really lobbying for her town, San Diego. I took a trip to check it out. Nope. Definitely not a California girl. I did not feel any vibe, culture or pull to San Diego once there. It's got nice beaches, sure. The weather is a plus, yes. But the many highways and flat desert just didn't do it for me. Arizona? No water. I need to be near water.



So then I started checking on the east coast. Since I spent my first month back in the states with my family in NY, this made sense. I thought I'd like being a little closer to them. Unable to actually visit the places that sounded interesting from websites made this task more difficult. I searched cities all up and down the east coast from Boston to Florida. What I finally discovered was 1. these chamber of commerce folks really know their business. The business of making even the biggest armpit in the country sound like the most charming and lucrative place to live. And 2. Seattle is a pretty fabulous city. One of my criteria is the public transit system. Although we berate the metro system in Seattle, it's far better than most US cities outside of NY, San Fran and DC. I'm not opposed to buying a car someday, I just want to have the option to use mass transit whenever I can. Seattle has a pretty reasonable cultural and music scene. The nightlife is a bit to be desired for anyone over the age of 25, but I seem to keep myself plenty entertained. I have a great network of friends and jobs to be had. The weather, for me, is the biggest drawback. I like my summers longer and hotter.



About eight months into this city searching venture I asked my brother, Jerry, what he thought about a few places I had read about.



"Sure, those are all fine places. We'd see you a lot more as they are each only a day's drive away," he said. Bonus. In the east everything seems to be only a day's drive away. "But I don't think you're moving. Seattle's a pretty good city as far as cities go." My thoughts exactly.



So I put aside this idea of moving ... just for now anyway.



This week I arrived in Long Beach, Long Island, flabby triceps and all. It's a great place. Cute beach homes walking distance to beach, bars, restaurants and shops. In the shadow of Manhattan, an easy drive to major airports. My brother told me before hand that I'd love it.



"You'll feel old, cause it's a young town," he said "but you'll love it."



So far I don't feel old. As a matter of fact, I think I could live here!

No comments: