Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wake Up Rip Van Winkle

I was only living abroad for about 3 1/2 years (three years and four months) but at times it seems longer. Coming back to the states I felt (and still feel sometimes) a bit like Rip Van Winkle! Bluetooth, Blackberry, Blogs??? What are these things? I can't tell the crazies from the people talking on their phones...everyone is walking around talking to themselves (or so it appears). I was only in Europe, not some third world country (although Turkey is still considered a 'developing' country, they DO have ample technology there), but to be honest, I fell out of touch. I didn't go abroad to "stay connected" to the American culture. The idea was to emerse myself in the European cultures. And that I did.

I had, and still have, a lot to catch up on! My trek back to Seattle involved a stop off in Park City, UT for the Sundance Film Festival (January 2006). While I did recognize the 'oldies' like Sally Fields, Nick Nolte and Dennis Quaid, anyone new and upcoming was completely foreign to me. Terrance Howard, who?? And Maggie G?? I still don't know that gal's name. And don't even get me started on the whole Branjolina and Bennifer thing. The worst part that no one else found any of this 'weird' at all. My friends would talk about these people as if they were real people in their lives. I guess it's better they spend their time gossiping about these 'fake' friends than gossiping behind the back of yours truly (which they probably do as well).

I've been back for over a year and I am still resisting much of American culture. I don't have a car. I made certain to rent an apartment near downtown and all the bus routes I'd need. I have no need for a Blackberry. My mobile phone (or cell, rather) is as basic as they come. I can make a call and take a call....and it even works as my alarm clock. Wow! I have one of those old fashion large sized TV's (handed down from a friend who upgraded to the fancy wancy flat screen) that works fine for the two shows I watch per week (Sex and the City re-runs).

However, even though I personally live quite simply, I do have HIGH expectations with regard to technology. I expect my laptop/PC to ALWAYS work and work quickly, internet should NEVER be 'down,' reservations should never be lost, and everything everywhere should be automated. And now...now I am finally going to attempt to transition from the paper journal notebooks I've been keeping for years, into the world of 'Blogging.'

No comments: