Tuesday, July 17, 2007

life begins at fortyish

As soon as I landed in Prague, I knew I'd made the right decision. Actually, it was during the four hour layover in Copenhagen...wandering the cobbled streets in awe of the women commuting on their bicycles wearing skirts and high heels, purses slung over their shoulders...some even on their cell phones...I mean 'mobiles.'

Then my arrival in Prague just confirmed my gut instincts were right. I am all about the 'gut instinct' theory. Heck, if I'd listened to my gut in the first place, sixteen years prior and responded with "let me just wear the ring around for awhile first and see how it feels" instead of the emphatic "yes!" that I DID respond with, I wouldn't have found myself a 39 year old divorce alone in one of the most charming, romantic cities in the world.

But then I am also a huge believer in the "everything happens for a reason" theory too. So there I was in Praha after leaving my husband, my job (which was intended only as a sabatical), my home and my cat to my best friend. I was embarking on that next chapter in my previously average, domesticated, American life. And from that point on I became a true believer in the "life begins at 40 (or 39) theory."

1 comment: