Monday, July 23, 2007

I Am a Bus Person

I hear people saying all the time "naw, I'm not a bus person." What does that mean exactly? You're too environmentally hogish to ride the bus? You're too attached to your car? You'd rather sit in traffic, clench your teeth, drive around the block umpteen times looking for expensive parking and spend a ton on gas than ride the bus and get dropped off within a block (if not right in front) of your destination? (http://www.transit.metrokc.gov/)

I have a new friend who just moved here from California. She is 'not a bus person.' She says it's easier to walk. Well, that is commendable and I can appreciate that. Often it IS easier...as well as faster...to just walk. However, sometimes walking is just impractical. You're wearing your sexy new high heels for a night on the town...the bus saves your heels AND your feet. It's pissing rain and blowing sideways. The bus is definitely a better option than walking if you need to look presentable upon arrival. You're pressed for time...again...the bus is fairly speedy.

I'll cut my new friend a bit of slack, because she is at least making an attempt to avoid the unnecessary use of her car. But what about all those other non-bus people who are using their cars when the bus is just as easy, cheaper, relaxing (really, it is....the bus provides that time to catch up on reading, zzzz's, chat with a new person, or just veg staring out the window contemplating life.) No, these people don't see it that way at all. I think they actually have 'bus fear.'

Yes, fear of the bus. They don't know how to take the bus. It is complicated in Seattle, admittedly. It takes a good six months of using the system before one is an accomplished rider. There's the issue of paying. You pay when getting on when entering the city but when you get off when leaving the city. Free ride area (basically just downtown) is from 7 am - 7pm. After 7 pm the back doors don't open...enter and exit from front door only. Peak hours the fare is $1.50, off hours fare is $1.25...what are peak hours? There's a sign on the paybox...you'll figure it out. Some buses change number partway into the route. Yes, it's complicated business alright, but worth getting acquainted with.

Then there is the issue of the 'bus freaks.' There's always the sleeper whose head bobs like one of those bobble head dolls until it's on your shoulder. There's the drunk, the incessant talker about nothing (no, that is NOT me!), the political activist, the lady with the Great Dane and the other one with the dog in a bag. Sure you will observe many interesting folks (and smells) on the bus...especially through the free ride zone. But that's one of the perks of riding the bus. I could probably write a 'bus stories' blog and be busy writing every day of the week! I grew up in a family who supported bus travel (I think that makes a difference as well. It's in my genes.) I come from a long lineage of bus people. My dad used to come home every night from work and tell an unusual and interesting bus story at the dinner table. After college, when I landed my first job downtown, I too was able to join in on the dinner table bus story talk.

Now I didn't just go cold turkey with this whole bus riding transition. I sold my car before going to Europe. While there I had to learn the public transit systems. I became quite apt...in foreign lands mind you. When I returned to Seattle...jobless and homeless...I decided to find an apartment in a part of town with good bus service. I was going to attempt to bring a bit of my European lifestyle back into my American life. I did not want to race out a plunk down money I didn't really have on a car. No siree. I didn't know how long I could make this last, though. I mean, Seattle isn't known to have the best public transit in the world. But it's been over a year and I'm quite comfortable and happy with my bus riding lifestyle. There are very few instances when I feel I need a car. In those cases, I borrow from a friend or use flexcar (http://www.flexcar.com/) or if really in a jam, I take a cab. The amount I've spent on those other options over the last year is miniscule compared to owning a vehicle (the car, car maintenance, parking, the time spent looking for parking, gas, insurance).

So, again, what makes a person 'not a bus person?' I think everyone should at least give it a chance. There's just nothing like a day of good bus karma when you get to the bus stop seconds before the bus arrives, you make all your connections, always get a seat and get where you need to be on time. And if you ARE late...you just blame the bus. Everyone seems to accept this as a valid excuse for tardiness.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

This is an amusing, thought-provoking post. It made me think of this blog: http://www.sightline.org/daily_score/archive/2006/07/12/car-less-on-vacation You might want to point your readers to it and add it to your blogroll.
-Rebecca