Sunday, January 30, 2011

Is He a Keeper?

A couple of months ago, I came across one of those online tests to determine whether your man is a "keeper" or not. You know the ones. The tests that are right up there with "Ten Ways to Tell if Your Guy is Cheating" and "Top Five Favorite Fantasies". So I see this 'keeper' quiz and decide to look into it further just to see what they have to say.

1. He's willing to put you first.

Is my guy willing to put me first? Absolutely. He goes out of his way to make sure I'm taken care of before looking after his own needs. I try to protest, but to no avail. Okay, he passes the first test. By the way, I show him appropriate amounts of appreciation.

2. He's there for me in a crisis.

We haven't had much in the way of true crisis, but he's definitely been there for those little annoying inconvenient troubled times, so I'm pretty sure he'd be there in an actual crisis. I'll keep you posted if in a real crisis, he fails to deliver, but I somehow doubt that will be the case.
Yes, I'm overly optimistic.

3. He appreciates your quirks.

This one is HUGE. Mainly because I have a lot of quirks. One of the items on my list of required characteristics in a man (I developed this list during the separation from my ex-husband nine years ago) is that he accept and embrace my quirks...and simply let me be me.
My fella is constantly pointing out how "cute" my quirks are. I am fully aware that those things he is finding endearing today, will drive him crazy in the future. So I thank him profusely. I should probably have him write this stuff down and sign it, so that in the future when he complains about said quirk, I can whip out the sheet of paper and say "see, you loved this about me in the beginning!"

4. He shows you how much he cares.

He does...all the time. And I continue to show him appropriate amounts of appreciation.

5. He is kind.

Not only is he kind to me, which is of course important, but he is kind to everyone else. Very admirable and actually a turn on.

6. He's consistent.

There is nothing more crazy making than a guy who is up, down, and all over the place. You never know what to expect with regard to mood or actions. Consistency could equal boring to some women, women who indulge in those "bad boy" types. I happen to like a guy I can count on and know what to expect. A little surprise now and again is exciting, but overall, I like knowing what I'm in for.

7. He wants to build a life with you.

Okay, this is a tricky one. What do we mean by "building a life" exactly? Marriage, babies, moving in? I guess for everyone that means something different. Maybe the statement should read "wants to build a relationship with you". Some people have lives they've built on their own. They might have homes of their own and have no intention of co-habitation again, successful careers, or kids from previous marriages. They may be in their 50's, 60's or 70's and not be thinking of building a life together. They may simply want a companion to enjoy the life they've already built. This question might be suitable for 20-something year olds I suppose.


8. He can handle your emotions.

Again, we haven't been together long enough for any "emotions" to surface. I haven't even seen a tear jerker movie with him yet, I'm not one to get PMSy, in general, I don't have a temper, and until menopause strikes, I'm not sure about the answer to this question.

9. He fights fair.

We are still in the gooey happy couple stage. A first fight has yet to ensue.

10. He's a grown up. Competent and confident in managing his own life.

Hallelujah! Yes, he is definitely all those things, while still being young, adventurous and fun.

In all fairness, I thought it only appropriate to read the companion article "Is She a Keeper?"

1. She cooks your favorite meal for no reason.

I stopped there. No need to read any further. These quizzes are just stupid and immature.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a goofball!

Anonymous said...

Yep, if you have to answer an on-line quiz about whether your man is a keeper or not, you have bigger issues my friend!! And I mean that nicely because I KNOW you don't. : )

Anonymous said...

Now I'm dying to know what the rest of the questions are in the "is she a keeper" test! ; )

Anonymous said...

As long as he passes the "he's a keeper" test, it doesn't matter if you think you are. That's up to him to decide, and based on what I have seen, you're both planning to keep each other. (and I'm so happy for you both!)

Petal Films said...

You are such a sweet lady, Loreley, and I am so happy for you that you have found what seems to be a wonderful man. From your descriptions, I say he is definitely a keeper. :)

Irene said...

Thanks for the laugh! I agree...stupid and immature.... :)