Sunday, October 12, 2008

Reflections on a Fine Autumn Day

Autumn has always been my favorite season. As a kid growing up in upstate New York (the second largest apple growing state) I'd look forward to the sunny crispness in the air, donning a sweater and our family apple picking outings. It was a major event which included a tailgate picnic and a visit to the local cider mill before returning home with several bushels of yummy McIntosh, Red Romes and Empires.

Our front yard was graced with a grand Maple that shed its colorful leaves in abundance. Much to my brothers' chagrin during the lawn mowing season, our lawn was large and slightly sloped. This made for great leaf jumping contests after raking the dry, crunchy leaves into enormous piles.

As a kid I didn't appreciate all my mom's slaving over baking apple dishes, 'putting up' apple sauce and the squash-based meals. Today these are my favorite delights of the season. When the coffee shops come out with "pumpkin spiced lattes", I'm in latte heaven! Last night, my culinary expert friend cooked me a wonderful meal that included a fabulous homemade butternut squash soup. Mmmm. I'm trying to figure out how I can convince her to cook for me every night!

Autumn is always a nostalgic time for me and this September/October have been no different. The season always reminds me of fresh starts, new beginnings, i.e. pencils, notebooks, new classes, school clothes, and endless possibilities. Maybe that's the reason for my going back to school obsession.

As I enter into the next phase of my life (I seem to be doing this as often as the seasons change) I am encouraged by the possibilities that lie ahead. Anything is possible once the possibility is created.

So here's to fall, which has been pretty amazing this year in Seattle, and to endless possibilities. And as for nostalgia, don't even get me started on Halloween!

No comments: