Friday, October 31, 2008

The Eleventh Hour Costume Crunch

Here it is, once again, Halloween. Five-oh-oh, and I still don't have my custome ready. So typical. When I was a little girl (okay, I'm still a little girl at heart. Aren't' we all?) my mother used to make me a homemade costume every year. I generally went for the frilly girly costumes, i.e. princess, ballerina, Little Red Ridding Hood, fairy Godmother, the usual costumes that require tiara, tutu and colors like pink or red. Not a lot has changed since I was five. Except my mother isn't around to make my costumes for me anymore. How great would that be?

I was invited to go to a party with a friend and, luckily, this friend has an amazing costume closet full of great costumes and accessories to inspire and get the creative juices flowing. I came home with three possible ideas, spent some time at Champions and now I've got to get busy and put something together.

I've got an "I Dream of Jeannie" costume that is really cute, but exposes far too much skin. If I wore this getup, I'd need a full nude colored body stocking to go underneath. Not only because I'm not exactly comfortable with my own skin showing, but it's a little too chilly for that here in the Pacific Northwest. Also, a dude wore the costume last year and I hardly think I could follow his act. But I'm going to slip into it again and see how I feel. It's pretty cute. Actually, it's sexy, but I can't really pull off sexy, so it looks more on the cute side.

My next option is a sexy/elegant witch outfit. It includes a long slinky black dress that requires some serious body shaping undergarment, which I happen to own and have never actually had the cause to wear. However, if I wear this costume, I won't be able to eat or drink all night as I'm attempting to keep from busting the seams. That doesn't sound very festive...or sexy as my face is taking on a look of excruciating pain from sucking in my gut all night.

My final option is a purple fairy-like character with those great fairy wings, wand and purple everything, from wig to pleather pants. Oh, I forgot to pick up some fairy dust.

Okay, off I go to see what I can make from all of these bits. Maybe a witchy fairy with Jeannie's pants. Hmm... that could be interesting...and a bit scary.

Happy Halloween!

No comments: