Wednesday, December 8, 2010

17 Days Til Christmas

December 8th and people are starting to ask me "Are you all ready for Christmas?" Ready for Christmas? Well, no. It's December 8th.

In years past (way past) I'd have had my 8 ft tree personally hacked down from the tree farm, hauled into my house and fully decorated by now, including those time consuming popcorn strings and individually tied bows. I would have taken a day off work to bake several dozen of a variety of yummy and festive Christmas cookies. In addition, I'd have pies, breads, and other goodies underway. Much of my Christmas gift shopping would have been completed at this point. Approximately 50 homemade Christmas cards would have been inscribed with personal notes and in the post.

My garage, a.k.a. craft area, would have looked like Santa's workshop with Christmas decorations being made, crafts for friends and family, holly and cedar swag wreaths in the works. I was a full on Christmas Holiday Maker. I planned all year long. I'd decide early in the year on some homemade gift idea and start collecting supplies. One year I made homemade vinegar and oils. Another year it was flower pots I painted in ceramics. They didn't sell during the summer flea markets so I had to get rid of my surplus somehow. I built bird houses made from finds from our own back yard and wooded area, wind chimes, potpourri, candles from beeswax and dried flower arrangements. I saw myself as quite the little industrious and creative holiday artist. I was slightly delusional. Nothing turned out all that great. But everything was made with love and good cheer.

I'd take special care with my gift wrap, choosing a unique theme and carefully creating matching bows and trinkets placed on each package.

After leaving my old life behind, I left much of that Holiday Maker Girl behind too. While I was living abroad, I was either renting rooms from local ladies, or on the move. A Christmas tree and decorations were not an option. Most stores in Europe wrap the gifts for you in store (at no additional charge). It isn't fancy, it won't match, but it's sweet and I found it a nice touch. No need to go purchase more items to wrap the gift. Here in the States, I often find wrapping the gift can cost more than the gift itself! Gift bags, matching tissue paper, ribbons (that nice fancy stiff cloth stuff that makes great bows), gift tags, and you're well over your budget for wrap.

Because my kitchen is miniature and cookery sparse, I hardly bake and find when I try, I'm just not as successful at it anymore. Although, my current man will beg to differ as I've managed to crank out a pumpkin pie and pumpkin-ginger bread at Thanksgiving of which he seemed appreciative! Personally, I think he's easy to please. Those are not exactly delicacies. I haven't tackled a cheese cake or those tedious, yet delicious, creatively frosted cut-out cookies in a long time.

If I decorate my apartment, I hand carry a 3 ft tree from the grocery store that sits on my coffee table. Gifts are generally wrapped in recycled gift bags from last year's generous givers, and today I found boxes of Christmas cards for $2.97 at a store in my building that is going out of business soon. That was a bitter sweet purchase. Yea for me for finding a deal, so sad for the store going out of business. I'd like to think the owners are getting out ahead and retiring to the Caribbean for the winter. I'm not sure that is the case, though.

It's not that I don't appreciate the extravagance of Christmas bling. I think I've just simplified it down to what is, for me, reasonable. The whole gift exchange is also a stickly issue for me. I do enjoy giving and receiving, but I have to admit that I have a hard time with excess. It makes me feel uncomfortable. My posse of friends get that about me and respect my wishes (usually) of "no gifts please" or very small tokens. However, there is always going to be some unbalance that makes me cringe. My brothers and I don't generally exchange gifts due to the distance we live apart. Sending material items across the country was getting unproductive, as well as costly (another expense that can easily exceed the cost of the gifts being shipped!).

Last year I did give the one brother who lives in the area a belt. His daughters said he needed a brown dress belt. I thought I was doing well to give him something he needed and not too extravagant. I know he is financially strapped and I've been in the same boat these past eight "transitional" years. He, in turn, gave me a Helly Hansen Fleece Jacket. Seriously? I gave him a belt and he gave me Helly Hansen Jacket? How am I to walk away from that gift exchange feeling good at all? I felt like crap. A year later and I'm still, obviously, feeling like crap.

This year Mr. Wonderful and I are going away for Christmas and that is our gift to each other. I am really looking forward to a Christmas in the snow and spending time with someone I really dig.

Before too long I will get my discount Christmas cards mailed, gift shopping done, and my little apartment spruced up with a bit of holiday cheer. I might even tackle a batch of cookies. But we'll see. That seems a little ambitious. After all, it is only December 8th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although, I was never as industrious as you were in terms of homemade gifts and treats, I used to be big into the decorations, special gifts, (store bought, of course), and the ever so important, awesome gift wrapping. Like you, I have down scaled considerably due to life and job changes, but you know, it doesn't seem to matter. My close friends and family are still close and we still enjoy our holidays as much as ever, if not more. This year, the plan is Christmas Eve with the family at an Irish bar in Tacoma. How's that for easy and non-traditional? I can't wait!

wanderwoman said...

THAT sounds like an awesome Xmas-eve! Enjoy!