Monday, June 1, 2009

The Not-So-Reality TV

How can people watch that Bachelorette show and take it seriously? Or even find it entertaining as far as that goes? Where's the challenge? Where's the entertainment? You take an already beautiful, young woman, who has a successful career and wants to be married and have a family, make her even more beautiful with designer clothes, professional hair and makeup, introduce her to a dozen (or more?) successful, handsome men who also want to be married and have a family, and see who she picks. Sure each week there is some drama between the contestants vying for her attention. Sure there's the dramatic rose ceremony where she boots out the ones with whom she feels there is no "chemistry." All the while the music is escalating, the drums rolling, and with each presentation of the rose, there are sighs of relief. You'd think something real was hanging in the balance. And don't tell me these people have feelings that are "real" at this point. They just met for crying out loud.

I sound like I know far too much about this show to criticize. I come home from work tired and hungry. Prop my legs up with a big salad and grab my remote. One round of clicking, I discover there is nothing on, but I land on The Bachelorette and like a bad car accident, I can't turn away.

During the commercials I leave the room to change out of my work clothes and get so sidetracked, I forget I'm even watching TV. When I return to my living room I realize I've missed some drama. The Bachelorette is crying about something. What did I miss? I'm annoyed that I'm even watching this show at all, then I'm annoyed that I missed something, and then I'm annoyed that I'm even annoyed about missing some staged drama.

And that Bachelorette seems to always be crying about something. Whenever they show the clips of what happened last week, she is crying. She is crying this week. And then they show clips of next week's episode and she's crying. Okay, ya big baby, you're dating loads of gorgeous boys, in beautiful settings and money is no object. Stop your belly aching.


In my constant effort to come up with new and interesting (and lucrative) reality TV shows, I've got a far better idea. How about taking a middle aged, average looking woman, who lacks a proper career (anyone you might know?), doctor her up to look fabulous on TV (this feat may actually require a doctor), and without revealing to the men (handsome, successful, interesting ones, of course) her lack of career, assets or financial security, see how hard they compete for her hand. That sounds way more fun.

5 comments:

Little White Cloud said...

I can't even stomach the first 15 minutes... :-) so anti what a happy woman would do and look for in her life... Such as reality show is not realistic at all.

wanderwoman said...

Thanks, LWC, you are soooo right! This kind of show definitely sends the wrong message.

Lucky Mom said...

I think it's funny you watched it!! I can't possibly take it seriously but it does suck you in! ; )

Anonymous said...

Tell the rest of the story WW. Not only were you pissed that you cared that you missed something, you were actually compelled to "phone a friend" to see if they were watching and could fill you on on the drama you missed. (Yeah, I WAS watching and I DID fill you in.)

I have to admit, I like your show idea much better. Now, that format could create some REAL drama, and a lot of laughs, something the current show could use some more of!!

wanderwoman said...

Yes, that is correct, I opted to "phone a friend" to find out what all the bawling was about. If I'm gonna watch the thing, I may as well keep up!