Sunday, April 5, 2009

Text Me When You've Googled Him

Upon scrutiny of my last T-Mobile bill, I decided it might serve me to step into the 21st century and pay for the text message service. I was resisting previously because I didn't want to add any more money to my bill. I had 1000 calling minutes with free nights and weekends for $39.99 (make that $49.99 with tax, fees, tips, excess unknown charges etc.). Still, fifty bones I was willing to pay. But when my last bill came in at nearly $70 I sat down to take a closer look.

Because others not only have text message service, but also use it almost exclusively, I was automatically drawn into this little web of communication. I would regularly tell friends "I don't use text" explaining that, yes, while I do recognize the benefits and convenience of using text messaging (I lived in Europe for 3 1/2 years, remember? That's ALL anyone does there.) I don't want to pay anything extra for it. I get tired of everyone telling me how things only cost an extra few dollars for this or that. All those 'extras' add up.

Regardless of me advising friends and family that I don't use text messaging, new people would inevitably send me messages via text. I am not controlled or stubborn enough to ignore these messages, so I'd open them and read them at 25 cents a pop. And then I'd respond! Another 25 cents. It doesn't take long to rack up an additional "few dollars" with just a small exchange with one or two people.

I marched myself downtown to visit the folks at T-Mobile to find out 1. how to stop these text messages from even coming across my path or 2. how much it costs to join the band wagon.
Needless to say, it turned out to be cheaper to join the band wagon. So now, for approximately $55.00 per month (yes, only $5.00 more) I have 400 or so opportunities to send and/or receive a text message.

Fine. I'll enter the world of text messaging communication. No problem. But I still refuse to use the word 'text' as a verb, i.e. "he keeps texting me," "I texted him yesterday," or "Text him and tell him we're on our way." The actual verb is "SEND", people. As in, "he keeps sending me text messages," "I sent him a text yesterday," and "Send him a text and tell him we're on our way."

"Google" is currently listed in the dictionary as both noun and verb. At this time, text is still just a noun. I realize this is soon to change, but I'm fighting it tooth and nail.

3 comments:

Frita said...

Now, if you really want to go all tech on us, you can "twitter" and "tweet" too. You can even do that through text messaging. How cool are you? :o)

Anonymous said...

YL: PMFJI, but IMHO your using the wrong dictionary
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

wanderwoman said...

Frita, I'm just not cool at all - clearly!

Anonymous, eeer...huh?