Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Weather Outside is Frightful- Make that Delightful

"December Storm" 2008 is underway, and just like every year our fair city can't handle the flakes and shuts down almost completely. Lack of snow removal equipment, a surplus of steep hills and drivers who, frankly, just aren't used to driving in inclement conditions result in a dysfunctional city when the snow arrives.

This year schools decided to mitigate damages by cancelling school on Wednesday because it might snow. It didn't. By Wednesday night the storm (second one in a week) came through and blanketed the region with a few inches resulting in school closures on Thursday and offices being closed.

I was downtown finishing up some errands and shopping for my trip and, although there were a few people walking around, it was sparse enough to be a bit eerie. As if the retailers weren't suffering enough, now we have a snow storm that keeps people housebound. I walked through Pike Place Market and the few vendors who did make it in to open their stall, looked very maudlin. The looks on their faces said "please, buy something- anything."

Personally, I love the snow and even the cold doesn't bother me much. I find this weather so much more inspiring than the usual torrential rains we get this time of year. It's, of course, easy for me since I don't actually need to be anywhere and my business isn't losing money. So, sure, I can have my Polly Anna positive outlook while others are suffering.

The complaint I can't buy, however, is how after one day at home several people have moaned about being a shut-in. C'mon, it's been a day. One day. You mean to tell me you can't just enjoy one day at home alone? You can't find things to keep you busy if you're a Type A individual? You can't just take the opportunity to hunker down with some tea and read that book you never seem to have time for? I could stay home for a week alone and never get bored. Walking in the snow is invigorating and if bundled properly, very safe. I've got a Dr. Seuss stack of books to read. That pile of movies the Lacey man sent me is still unwatched. Plus, Christmas is approaching. Bake cookies, get creative with your Christmas wrapping, make your New Year's plans. I don't know. Just embrace the situation and stop complaining. It's what is so, so enjoy it!

3 comments:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is so good......

Anonymous said...

Love your positive spin! You, my friend, could find the silver lining in baby poop!

wanderwoman said...

Heh heh. Thank you both, GG and LM!